V8 Rear Control Arms

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
Hi all. Eventually I will be removing my L/S diff rear axle and replacing it with an open from a junk yard to regear and put in a locker. My question is; what do I do about the control arms (not sure if thats the correct term) that are on the my stock axle? I understand I can unhook them but do I/can I get new brackets and weld them to the open diff rear axle? Do I really need them? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think your talking about the traction bars and they help prevent axle wrap. I would take them off imo to get more flex.

Second Gen. Explorers don't have control arms in the rear.
It's a solid axle, I don't think I understand what you mean.
Here's a picture of the rear suspension on these trucks, can you point out what you're talking about?
jBxWJ3Jl.jpg

Control arm is definately not the correct term, but I'm not sure what they are called. here is a pic with them circled. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 196

Of course you can get new tabs and just have them welded to the new axle. But I'm not understanding why you're even swapping axles. If you were doing the swap to avoid re-gearing I would understand, but you're still re-gearing the new axle. Why not just buy an open carrier instead of a whole new axle?

First off let me say that this is my first real project truck. I was under the impression that the diff of a stock limited slip axle would not accept a locker because of the way the interior of the diff was shaped, and the solution to this was to get a junk yard open diff and axle?

Nope, an 8.8 is an 8.8, the carriers can be swapped from one to another. But the actual center section is the same.

Well that would save me some $$$

And a lot of work. :thumbsup:

Well, after some time researching the forum i figured out what the carrier is. I thought the whole diff was the carrier. My job just got easier and I know have another part to grab at the JY next weekend, 50% off. Thanks for the schooling

Well, after some time researching the forum i figured out what the carrier is. I thought the whole diff was the carrier. My job just got easier and I know have another part to grab at the JY next weekend, 50% off. Thanks for the schooling

Which junkyard do you use out there?
You travel to Standard Auto Wreckers?

Pick Your Part in Southern California. One weekend a month (give or take) they have a 50% off weekend to help them clear inventory

You cannot just swap in different carrier and pinion without doing quite a bit of adjustments. The tools required for these adjustments are quite expensive. Swapping the whole rear axle for an open differential would be about the same price as the cost of setting up the carrier change.

However, there is indeed a lunchbox locker that will install into a limited slip carrier. It's made by Richmond gear, called powertrax no slip. And, yes, it is about twice the price as the open locker version.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/productreviews/powertrax_explorer

As far as flex, I can still do this with my rear control arms ( and 3rd shock) installed.

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

I would rather loose a little flex than have axle wrap.

Sometime this year I am having both diffs regeared and a locker put in the back. I won't be doing it myself, I will be having a drive line shop do it. I've researched how to do it and I'm far from set up to do it myself. IMO some things are worth paying a professional to do

I saw the LS carrier lockers but decided to just go with an open differential, more options down the line. Since I will be at the JY pulling the carrier, are there any other parts from the rear end I will need?

Thanks for everyone opinions and help

Pick Your Part in Southern California. One weekend a month (give or take) they have a 50% off weekend to help them clear inventory

Ah, you changed your location now. Thought you meant you live in Oshawa. My bad.

Yeah, my bad. I saw your post and it made me realize I should clarify. Had a to give a shout out to the mother land

Back