• Register Today It's free!

Weird noise and pieces in pan

ohiombtech

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Hi all, new member here- been helping people for years on the MB forum..hopefully the same thing can happen for me here with my Explorer.
Its a 97-4.o L overhead cam, automatic 4x4
Started making a horrible loud grinding gear type noise (like gears on a manual not meshing) on decel over 40 mph or so..alos seemed to lose power transfer when this happened. It was coming from the middle of the truck (so trans or transfer case). This was in 'Auto' mode.
So, deducing that A- noise is bad (and really- this was real loud) and B- I should be able to see damage..I started- took the TC out, looked inside..everything seems ok. Dropped the trans pan- found little pieces of what looks like roller bearings (but small- like 1/8 wide and 1/8 deep)..Ahh I figured a oneway clutch came apart..So I pull the trans, tear it down..nothing..everything is good- no signs of bad wear even, never mind breakage. Could it be in the convertor? Am I missing something?
Hopefully one of the Ford experts here can help..I'm stuck...

If you need more info let me know or you can call my cell, its sitting right next to me in my spare stall at work...440-364-0857
Rick Orange
Team Leader
Crown Mercedes Benz
Dublin, OH

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A picture could of what you found could be useful.. if you don't have a way of posting it, e-mail it to blee1099@comcast.net

Kind of blury..
100_0881.jpg

Yes those are gasket spacers. Noise per se, is a bad thing. It can be tough to localize, and often can be transfer case related. The 4405 Transfer case has some known issues. Did you split the transfer case ? If so, how did the sliding shift (hi-lo) collar look? I'm not ready to suspect the tranny yet based on your description.

Yes those are gasket spacers. Noise per se, is a bad thing. It can be tough to localize, and often can be transfer case related. The 4405 Transfer case has some known issues. Did you split the transfer case ? If so, how did the sliding shift (hi-lo) collar look? I'm not ready to suspect the tranny yet based on your description.

I did split the case, although i don't know what i am looking at really, the shift fork looks ok- the plastic is not broke or anything, The collar also, from what i see. I did notice before that th enoise was worse in 4-wheel (low or high)- again i don't really see anything i'd condemn in there.
At least I know I can put the trans back together and I'm not losing my mind looking for a bad one clutch or bearing.

Back