1992 Ranger Check Engine light don't work and it won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ranger Check Engine light don't work and it won't start.

Playa30

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
The truck quit on me and for some reason, the check engine won't come on when you turn the key and the truck will turn over but won't start. I put fuel in the intake and it will run for a min and cut off. Just put in a new fuel pump and that didn't fix it. Checked all rely switches and they are good. My question is, Is it possible for the ecm to bad. It fires but the problem relates to fuel. The Ecm controls the injectors and the check engine light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked to see if the bulb is good on the check engine light? Also, I believe there is a fuse for the fuel pump in addition to the relay. Have you checked that? Good luck!

Have you tried the inertia switch? it may be tripped. also on the fuel rail there is a schrader valve, if pressed does it spray fuel?

Have you checked to see if the bulb is good on the check engine light? Also, I believe there is a fuse for the fuel pump in addition to the relay. Have you checked that? Good luck!

I haven't check to see if the bulb was blown. My dad told me it was working before the truck quit on him. I just installed a new fuel pump and you can hear it when the key is turned from off to on. All the relays are ok. I have a code reader that said the relays are good but the codes that were on my ecu were deleted when the battery die. The only thing I haven't checked was fuel pressure. I was told that if your check engine light don't come on when you turn the key to the on position it could mean a bad ecu.

Have you tried the inertia switch? it may be tripped. also on the fuel rail there is a schrader valve, if pressed does it spray fuel?

If you are talking about the red button under the carpet i checked it by pushing it down. it's ok. The schrader valve I haven't tried yet. I'm about to get a fuel pressure test kit on ebay for 25 bucks that comes with the schrader valve adapter. Someone told me it could be the ecm is bad causing my check engine light not to work at all and my injectors not to deliver fuel. I have no idea. I just know it's related to fuel.

Did you find out what was wrong with it?

nope. I did check the fuel pressure and it's great. the spark plugs are firing and it do starts and run when gas in sprayed into the intake. The Injectors are not spraying which tells me it could be the computer box. No check engine light when the key is turned to the on position.

Did you replace the bulb?

Have you scanned for stored codes? Paperclip method thread shows how to do this for free..;)

Did you replace the bulb?

Have you scanned for stored codes? Paperclip method thread shows how to do this for free..;)

Haven't replaced the bulb but I do have a digital code reader and it pass the key on engine off test. It won't pull codes from the computer because the battery was dead for a month and it reset all of the stored codes that would have been on the computer.:(

..What was your fuel pressure?

...Do a voltage test across the inertia switch and what do you mean when you say you pushex down on the switch?

..What was your fuel pressure?

...Do a voltage test across the inertia switch and what do you mean when you say you pushex down on the switch?

the switch under the dash is a red button and it wasn't tripped or it wasn't up. I heard it kills the fuel pump. When I turn the key, you can hear the pump run for a few seconds. Pressure was around 40-45 psi. the injectors are not functioning.

Back