96 Ranger 4.0 is Waltzing Matilda on steering | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 Ranger 4.0 is Waltzing Matilda on steering

kturnerga

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ranger XLT 4.0 Ext cab
Hi
My 96 ranger has to have frequent correction of steering. I will turn the wheel left, for instance, and will travel straight until I need to turn it right. It seems as if the steering is hypersensitive. I wonder if something has a mind of its own. To fix this I did a change-out of the tie rods (rusted) and all that is left is from the Pitman arm on up. I did have it aligned though they had trouble fixing the camber adjustment at Sears. They also replaced a ball joint. Still the thing wobbles.

Would adjusting the steering box work or would tire rotation help? What are other possibilities?

Kt

I'm not sure what you mean? Does the steering have a lot of play, is it sloppy? Your use of the word hypersensitive makes me think you might mean the steering is overly tight and will turn the truck with the slightest movement of the wheel.
Is it one of these? Which one?

I'm not sure what you mean? Does the steering have a lot of play, is it sloppy? Your use of the word hypersensitive makes me think you might mean the steering is overly tight and will turn the truck with the slightest movement of the wheel.
Is it one of these? Which one?

Steering is not sloppy but when I turn the wheel slightly I find myself having to turn it back the other way slightly. The steering wheel is very responsive. I wonder if there is some wobble I don't know about.

I'm not sure which, but one of the the four alignments (caster, camber, toe in, toe out) helps to keep a vehicle tracking straight down the road. Maybe Sears didn't get the alignment good enough...

Back