Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could this explain why the display on my Factory headunit gets dim when I turn on the headlights?

I think the lights dimming is a factory feature. The interior lights dim when the headlights go on to prevent to much light and glare while driving at night.

Could this explain why the display on my Factory headunit gets dim when I turn on the headlights?

These display issues were only for the Pioneer decks, 1998-2001 or so(Mach and Premium).

These display issues were only for the Pioneer decks, 1998-2001 or so(Mach and Premium).

I disagree personally. I know I have the basic of the basic sound systems in my 1997. The factory deck shown here in my 1997: with the six cd changer in center
http://i36.tinypic.com/mra3o5.jpg

I have no subwoofer etc in the back. Just the factory amp (about to change).

its a bright green when Im using it normally without headlights or DRL's on. however the moment i turn the dial to turn on DRL's or headlights it goes almost off for dimness with the dimmer dial turned up to maximum. if I turn the dial down. the display goes off entirely.

I think the lights dimming is a factory feature. The interior lights dim when the headlights go on to prevent to much light and glare while driving at night.

That is good to know...I havent really tested them at night... I will do so and see if maybe that is the issue :)

I disagree personally. I know I have the basic of the basic sound systems in my 1997. The factory deck shown here in my 1997: with the six cd changer in center
http://i36.tinypic.com/mra3o5.jpg

I have no subwoofer etc in the back. Just the factory amp (about to change).

its a bright green when Im using it normally without headlights or DRL's on. however the moment i turn the dial to turn on DRL's or headlights it goes almost off for dimness with the dimmer dial turned up to maximum. if I turn the dial down. the display goes off entirely.

This thread is not about every radio ever made, any and all display issues. Read some of it from the beginning. It is a thread concentrated on the Pioneer decks installed in 98-01 Fords, commonly called the Mach or Pioneer radios of those models. All of those have a defect documented countless times. The one display power supply board in every one of those radios is defective. This thread is about those decks and how people got their power supply board fixed.

Feel free to start a new thread about your particular radio. Please don't jump into an old established thread and make waves and argue about how your issue needs attention right there. We are here to try to help each other, but don't make it harder for everyone reading the forum.

This thread is not about every radio ever made, any and all display issues. Read some of it from the beginning. It is a thread concentrated on the Pioneer decks installed in 98-01 Fords, commonly called the Mach or Pioneer radios of those models. All of those have a defect documented countless times. The one display power supply board in every one of those radios is defective. This thread is about those decks and how people got their power supply board fixed.

Feel free to start a new thread about your particular radio. Please don't jump into an old established thread and make waves and argue about how your issue needs attention right there. We are here to try to help each other, but don't make it harder for everyone reading the forum.

Well, I just clicked into this as I need to help a family member fix their display. The links through page 4 are mostly dead.

If someone "in the know" could give me hand we could remake this thread into something more useful.

Some confusion here, as I have read this power supply will not work on the MACH head units.

I have 2 goals.
1- fix sis in law's radio
2-fix this thread

Hi Jon, there are other threads which may be more useful for these "Pioneer" Mach/Premium radios. Try "Mach radio display" in the search terms.

I also have read that the Dorman part doesn't work right for these radios, but I have hopes that someone will find a way to make it work. The original supply boards are full of sub standard soldering joints, plus the way the components were packed in too close together. I don't think repairing the original parts is a wise idea long term. These radios get very hot in the dash with no ventilation in there.

I'd like to see a radio repair expert work with the Dorman part to figure out what's not quite right, and/or fix it as needed to make it work.

BTW, you can contact Dorman directly to ask any questions. I wonder if they might have any feedback yet from any customers who have tried their 586-001 unit. Regards,

...Im wasn't trying to start an arguement. I was a bit irritated because it seemed that you were insinuating that I couldn't possibly be having an issue with my deck because it wasn't a pioneer/mach system... I do appreciate the help given here.

I understand, and I believe traveler gave a great answer to your problem. I thought my comment was dull(benign) enough that it wouldn't offend, but evidently it did.

Some confusion here, as I have read this power supply will not work on the MACH head units.

I have 2 goals.
1- fix sis in law's radio
2-fix this thread

I have a 98 Ford Explorer with a Mach radio and this "PSB" works greats had it for 3 years

The part I ordered in post #273 failed to fix the display for my head unit. I attempted to remedy this but to no availe. I ordered the Dorman part at Amazon today. Hopefully this will fix the display.

Hi Joe, take a good look at the old board parts and see how the new ones may differ.

My old Mach radio is still working since the one repair in about 2005. I never got to see inside of one, I had sent mine off back then. It'd be nice to see some comparisons of the boards, the stock version for each, and the new parts. Good luck with yours.

Still have all the boards. Stock one that came from the factory, Pioneer replacement and New/old stock replacement that I bought last year but never got to work. After I swap in the replacement from Dorman, I'll take a closer look at all of them. Never really noticed any difference though.

I've got out the magnifying light and cool temp circuit board soldering stuff, so I'll take a good close look this time. I had heard that Pioneer had some boards left but was selling them in a bundle for the repair industry. If I can find one of those I may spring for it. I'm about to undertake a major project with this truck and remaining stock appearing is a large part of it. The stock radio must remain.

Still have all the boards. Stock one that came from the factory, Pioneer replacement and New/old stock replacement that I bought last year but never got to work. After I swap in the replacement from Dorman, I'll take a closer look at all of them. Never really noticed any difference though.

I've got out the magnifying light and cool temp circuit board soldering stuff, so I'll take a good close look this time. I had heard that Pioneer had some boards left but was selling them in a bundle for the repair industry. If I can find one of those I may spring for it. I'm about to undertake a major project with this truck and remaining stock appearing is a large part of it. The stock radio must remain.

This is my how to thread to replace the power supply board.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395093

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand, and I believe traveler gave a great answer to your problem. I thought my comment was dull(benign) enough that it wouldn't offend, but evidently it did.

It did not Offend me... Thanks for the info either way. The harness for my aftermarket stereo came in today, so I will be installing an aftermarket system.

Back