Very scary and confirmed the sport was in park the whole time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very scary and confirmed the sport was in park the whole time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd never trust putting my car in park alone. I would always set the parking brake because all that weight on the parking paw is just not good. I wonder how steep the incline was.

Too many unanswered questions if you ask me.

Incline was not steep at all, i'll try to get the pic that shows it form the scene. The parking brake was NOT set, but the car should not move in park, plain and simple.

I was told the sport was parked right in front of the white truck nose to nose. rolled to where the tow truck is getting him out... I think not exactly nose to nose, but facing the truck on a slight angle and rolled straight back to where it wound up.

imgurl

Just from looking at the photos I have many questions which are never going to get answered. Could it be mechanical failure, sure....could it be something else...sure. I wasn't there though and there is no sense is beating this to death. As far as the police were concerned its a property damage crash on private property. Not going to get a lot of investigation from them...insurance may look into it further.

Just from looking at the photos I have many questions which are never going to get answered. Could it be mechanical failure, sure....could it be something else...sure. I wasn't there though and there is no sense is beating this to death. As far as the police were concerned its a property damage crash on private property. Not going to get a lot of investigation from them...insurance may look into it further.

Whats getting beaten to death? Was this posted before? If so, i apologize. As far as the investigation, no injuries/death so no investigation, other than the initial observations on scene. vehicle was left running as the operator and her son went into the house. Son was ready to go... went out and got in the passenger side (confirmed because the door was open and folded backwards from the crash). When he got in... it started rolling backwards down the driveway... he jumped out and it went through the back yard... through a fence and off the embankment. first person to get to the car confirmed it was in PARK still.

Whats getting beaten to death? Was this posted before? If so, i apologize. As far as the investigation, no injuries/death so no investigation, other than the initial observations on scene. vehicle was left running as the operator and her son went into the house. Son was ready to go... went out and got in the passenger side (confirmed because the door was open and folded backwards from the crash). When he got in... it started rolling backwards down the driveway... he jumped out and it went through the back yard... through a fence and off the embankment. first person to get to the car confirmed it was in PARK still.

Bet the kid or someone not wanting the parent to get in trouble put it in park...

Bet the kid or someone not wanting the parent to get in trouble put it in park...

I was told that wasn't the case. I'm not involved, just letting others on here know to be careful. I never use the e-brake, but might start...

I was told that wasn't the case. I'm not involved, just letting others on here know to be careful. I never use the e-brake, but might start...

You probably should, it's good for your transmission. Imagine what happens when you car gets hit and the parking pawl being the only thing to stop it.

Ex could have accidentally been in neutral and jarred in to park when it came to an abrupt halt. Like posted, somebody could have put it in park to cover-up and make sure insurance pays. Also could have been a freak mechanical failure.

From the added pic of where the Ex was I would not have bothered with the ebrake and there was no need.

Not concerned about this given all the Ex's on the road and no reports of them driving off while in park.

While it is easier to do with a manual, I had the 17 year old son of a neighbor have his car roll down the driveway and hit a moving car on the street. He put it in neutral, turned it off, forgot to put on the parking brake, and went into the house. Needless to say, you always should put a manual in gear along with the parking break when turning off the ignition.

Back in the 80's Ford had vehicles that would jump out of park into gear. We had a company truck do it in the lot and hit 4 or 5 other vehicles. That spawned a company policy that vehicles had to be in park, parking brake set and wheel chocks used whenever parking a vehicle.

My question would be, the car was in park when found, but was it still free-rolling? If it's in park and won't roll I'd say that something could be fishy. If it's in park but still rolls freely I'd make sure the insurance company follows up with Ford! (And make a report to the appropriate agencies.)

Kid jumped out? Sounds fishy. Too many variables. Plausible, however, I would say she left it in neutral. Hard to say but that doesn't look like too much length for it to gain that much speed ( from drive way to across the street. As well from the picture it looks like the other side is on a slight incline ). Crazier things have happened though. I'm just glad nobody was hurt.

Signed

Inspector Clouseau.

Makes me wonder that with the black boxes in cars these days, I bet the can tell whether the car was put in park. The question is - can the black box pinpoint if it was put in park before or after it rolled?

My guess is the insurance company will be looking into that.

Biggest warning is "don't leave running car unattended"

I'm in the "I suspect something else happened which is not in the news account" camp

Back