• Register Today It's free!

Heater blowing COLD air!

lbiermann77

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer ebauer
Yikes! So yesterday was the first day that I was officially cold enough to turn on the heat in my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer, V6, 4.0L, SOHC. I've checked my fluids and they are good.

What should I be looking for? I've been told about some kind of "door" but nobody knows what it's called. I've also been told to look at a valve that you can access via the glove box. I do not have any fluids spraying all over the inside of my truck, so I think the core is probably not clogged.

The air blows perfectly fine, it just blows COLD. And it's almost November in Missouri, so I'm going to be needing my heat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you! I assume this is something I can fix myself as long as I can read directions!

Sorry the link I sent you is not what you want!!! I got it and it dint work.I got one from a auto parts for $54.

Yikes! So yesterday was the first day that I was officially cold enough to turn on the heat in my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer, V6, 4.0L, SOHC. I've checked my fluids and they are good.

What should I be looking for? I've been told about some kind of "door" but nobody knows what it's called. I've also been told to look at a valve that you can access via the glove box. I do not have any fluids spraying all over the inside of my truck, so I think the core is probably not clogged.

The air blows perfectly fine, it just blows COLD. And it's almost November in Missouri, so I'm going to be needing my heat.
Can only be two things wrong here. Either hot water is not circulating through the heater core, or the infamous blend door. No circulation is either the heater control valve in the engine compartment, or possibly a bad thermostat, in which case the temp gage would show no heat. I am assuming you have a heater control valve, like my 96. The blend door is located in the heater A/C box behind the dash. I have never had any experience with it.

Sorry I have a 2002 not the same.

Try this link...worked for me. Go to Frame #18:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183742&highlight=blend+door

most of the time the problem is with the blend door, not the actuator. You can check the actuator by sitting in the driver's seat in a quiet place, turn off everything, put the ignition in "accessory" mode, then turn the heater reostat knob. If the actuator is working you should be able to hear it everytime you turn the reostat.

The connector on the blend door is a cheap piece of plastic hinge prone to breaking after years of use.

I did the cutout method. It's a PITA, but man will you be a happy camper when the job is done. I ordered the blend door kit from RockAuto for about $17 incl shipping.

Be sure when you put the new door in that it snaps into place on the actuator. If done correctly it should hang there.

When you move the switch from cold to hot you should here something move you might be able to get under the hood and try to.manually switch it from cold to hot by the firewall

Thermostat replaced, still no heat. Thermo was bad, though, so that worked out. Blend door was jammed, and the motor that controls the actuator is burned up. Had door duct taped in the open position so that I was getting heat, but after 4 days, it's back to blowing cold air.

I think this is going to be a bigger problem than I am willing / financially able to fix. I smell a trade-in in my future.

Back