Camshaft Position Sensor on 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor on 99 Sport 4.0 SOHC...

Stang GirL Racin

Reaction score
City, State
Cleburne, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport
About 2 days ago I noticed my lovely check engine light appear on my dash. I have a 1999 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 V6, 2wd SOHC. I went by Autozone so they could tell me which code it was throwing and hopefully decipher the problem. Apparently it was the code for the Camshaft Position Sensor. Got the part, even got them to print some handy instructions on how to install said part...however I do not know WHERE its located. I have googled it, hoping to find some sort of diagram, and may resort to trying to find my owners manual if all else fails but I thought maybe someone here has done this before? I'm used to working on my 95 Mustang GT, far from a 6 cylinder...this thing is just so backwards to me. Any help is much appreciated :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well on mine its in the front of the engine at the bottom just under the pulley. but i got the ohv motor. the sohc is located different. i believe yours is located on the left valve cover right next to your oil cap.

On the SOHC, as viewed from the driver's side of the engine bay:

cps.jpg

(upper intake plenum removed)

from the drivers side

On the SOHC, as viewed from the passenger's side of the engine bay:

. . .
(upper intake plenum removed)

Unless your vehicle is set up for driving in the United Kingdom I believe that your photo was taken from the driver's side.

Woops sorry, edited original post.

Thanks very much ya'll...will give it a whirl and see how it goes! :salute:

Whoa! Just because it gave a code number for the CMP does not mean the sensor is wrong. By the way what was the code number. Could be you have an electrical problem to sensor of maybe the camshaft is out of sync.

Whoa! Just because it gave a code number for the CMP does not mean the sensor is wrong. By the way what was the code number. Could be you have an electrical problem to sensor of maybe the camshaft is out of sync.

i get a code p0340 i believe. its cam position sensor malfunction.

Check connector & wire

i get a code p0340 i believe. its cam position sensor malfunction.

The following is from the Ford 2000 OBD System Operation Summary:

"The ignition system is checked by monitoring three ignition signals during normal vehicle operation:
Profile Ignition Pickup (CKP, commonly known as PIP), the timing reference signal derived from the
crankshaft 36-tooth wheel and processed by the EDIS chip. PIP is a 50% duty cycle, square wave signal
that has a rising edge at 10 deg BTDC.
Camshaft IDentification (CMP, commonly known at CID), a signal derived from the camshaft to identify the
#1 cylinder
Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM), a signal that indicates that the primary side of the coil has fired. This
signal is received as a digital pulse width signal from the EDIS chip. The EDIS chip determines if the
current flow to the ignition coil reaches the required current (typically 5.5 Amps for COP, 3.0 to 4.0 Amps
for DIS) within a specified time period (typically > 200 microseconds for both COP and DIS). The EDIS
chip also outputs status information when the engine is not running.
First, the relationship between successive PIP events is evaluated to determine whether the PIP signal is rational.
Too large a change in 3 successive PIP indicates a missing or noisy PIP signal (P0320). Next, the CMP edge
count is compared to the PIP edge count. If the proper ratio of CMP events to PIP events is not being maintained
(for example, 1 CMP edge for every 8 PIP edges for an 8-cylinder engine), it indicates a missing or noisy CMP
signal (P0340).
Finally, the relationship between IDM edges and PIP edges is evaluated. If there is not an IDM
edge (coil firing) for every PIP edge (commanded spark event), the PCM will look for a pattern of failed IDM events
to determine which ignition coil has failed. If the ignition coil cannot be identified or if the engine is running and
there are no IDM edges, the IDM circuit is malfunctioning (P1351)."

My advice is to check the wire to the CMP sensor for breaks or shorts. Then disconnect and connect the connector a few times to clean it. If that doesn't help, remove the sensor and clean if possible. Then replace the sensor.

re about cps

the camshaft positoning sensor is located on the back of the engine wedged behind the intake manafold your best bet is to change the whole peice cause they go at the same time. it will take about 4 hours to do and dont forget to get all the plenam gaskets. sorry about my spelling got a massive headach and cant see

the camshaft positoning sensor is located on the back of the engine wedged behind the intake manafold your best bet is to change the whole peice cause they go at the same time. it will take about 4 hours to do and dont forget to get all the plenam gaskets. sorry about my spelling got a massive headach and cant see

Welcome to the forum.

You are correct, the OHV engine has a cam pos sensor at the back of the engine. The only problem is that the SOHC engine, (thats the engine being discussed in this thread) doesnt have a cam pos sensor at the back of the block. The cam pos sensor is in the driverside valve cover.

I had that infamous P0340 code on a V8 5.0L engine (two wire sensor too). It was... the alternator. It was putting it out only 13.1V - I guess the Hall sensor was sensitive to clean voltage. Changing the alternator fixed the code and voltage returned to 14.5V (runnig, of course).

OK so how you replace just the Camshaft Positioning Sensor on the 4.0 SOHC

Ok so how do you replace the sensor. I just picked up a new one at auto zone for 25 bucks and i am looking at the old sensor on the valve cover on my engine...thanks to the picture above. Can i just unsrew the srew pull out and stick the new sensor in. Seems to easy!

Mine 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd 4.0 SOHC, Vin ends in E

Your help would be appreaciated.

Ok so how do you replace the sensor. I just picked up a new one at auto zone for 25 bucks and i am looking at the old sensor on the valve cover on my engine...thanks to the picture above. Can i just unsrew the srew pull out and stick the new sensor in. Seems to easy!

Mine 1999 Ford Explorer Sport 2wd 4.0 SOHC, Vin ends in E

Your help would be appreaciated.

It really is that easy.

OK if it doesnt start back up its your fault.....lol

ok that was easy...started right up but didnt fix the knocking noise. Runs like a champ but loud. One guy said he replaced the sensor and the knocking went away. Well now i can eliminate the sensor. Any suggestions...and thanks for the quick reply

Timing chain guides are toast I bet. They will cause the cams to slightly advance and retard on their own since there is no tension on the chains causing the CEL.

BTW: The knock has been there for years but you only heard it foir a few seconds on startup then it quited down but now it stays loud. It seems to come more from the rear than front. I cant imagine rocker arms would just start knocking over night.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back