MountaineerGreen's Sliders | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Sliders

disconnect the battery and you should be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the drivers side done today and painted-

Here it is unpainted

sliders3_001_Medium_.jpg

sliders3_004_Medium_.jpg

The middle mount is twisted as the frame tapers

Middle Mount

sliders3_008_Medium_.jpg

Rear Mount

sliders3_010_Medium_.jpg

Front Mount

sliders3_013_Medium_.jpg

Front End

sliders3_014_Medium_.jpg

Rear End

sliders3_015_Medium_.jpg

The proof-

The wheels are off of the ground, its hard to tell in the picture

sliders3_005_Medium_.jpg

This is while it is lifted- very little deflection

sliders3_006_Medium_.jpg

Side Shot-

sliders3_018_Medium_.jpg

Still needs a little more paint and side rails, but it will come with time.

Ive still go the other side to make :rolleyes: I'm slow when it comes to fabrication.

The passenger side I should be able to finish tomorrow- its much less complicated, no gas tank, no fuel lines. And I've got the basic process down now.

Now I have the tools I need to finish. I had to stop several times on the first side. I burned up a drill bit, the 3/8 drill I was using started smoking. The cord on the grinder went bad, so I had to rewire it.

Now I have a 4 pack of flap disks, 2 cut off wheels for the chop saw, 4 grinding wheels, a 6 amp 1/2" drill, and some gear wrenches. :D I'm set for the other side.

Those turned out pretty good. Nice idea with how you attached them to the frame. Dropping the tank is a pain, and you found a way around that. Now go drag them over some rocks and tell us how they hold up :D

Well, I cant take all the credit for that design- Brian1 did something similar here.

I took part of his design and made my own. I think I will have a little better clearance by not having bolts under the frame, but I don't know yet.

It was ALOT of work to get these done. I probably have over 30 hours in them. I guess I don't work all that fast, but I never figured it would take that long. The frame brackets took quite a bit of time to make and I spent hours making the gaps and spacing even. I'm pleased with the result, I just wish I had a wire welder, my welds would look better.

Looks good, as long as you got good penatration who cares what your welds look like. Its not like anyones going to see them under your Mounty.

Looks good, as long as you got good penatration who cares what your welds look like. Its not like anyones going to see them under your Mounty.

Yeah, but I will and I am the one has to be happiest.

I am going to make an appointment with the fab guy who has a tubing bender to get my outer parts done this week probably.

An update on the tube sliders I talked about-

sliders9.jpg

They emailed me back, too late of course, but they said that they will make them 73" long if desired. They may be pretty cool- $300 Isn't too bad for the mounts and all.

Got the tube bar outters I have been wanting today.

Its 1 3/4" steel tubing.

I took it to a guy who had a tubing bender and wire welder. He did 99% of the work, I watched. Painted them flat black, plan to make steps on the top with herculiner.

Unpainted-
sliderbars_001_Medium_.jpg

sliderbars_003_Medium_.jpg

Side Profile-

sliderbars_009_Medium_.jpg

sliderbars_008_Medium_.jpg

Driver side door open looking down

sliderbars_010_Medium_.jpg

Nice Job, I want some!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back