8" subwoofer

parad1mg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD
i've aquired a sony xplod xm-zr1252 amp from a local seller for cheap and i'm looking at this sub on ebay to pair with it..

ebay subwoofer listing >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-db804-DVC-8...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:3|294:50
ebay subwoofer listing >>

how bout this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Refere...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:3|294:50

its going in the stock sub enclosure with a little modification and fits in my $40 sub budget, well sort of..

audiophiles, i need your advice please including other possible subs within the price range..

***offers from people with extra 8" subs that can let it go for the above mentioned price range are welcome too :)

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that polk one would sound quite nice...Qts is perfect for small sealed enclosures.

No problem...good luck with the install

Polk Audio and Infinity are both very good quality speakers, I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them. The weak spot would be the stock enclosure...

i'll see how the stock box fits in the rear panel and see where i can expand the box.. should i use mdf material or find a suitable thickness plastic/abs sheet to use?

i know i have the 9 liter box that fits a 6.5" sub and the db804 calles for a .66cuFT.. creating a new surface plate wont be a problem ( i hope :D .. this is my first sub enclosure)

fixxxer, weak spot in realation to size you mean?

toypaseo, any suggestion on what i can do with the stock enclosure?

Thanks guys!

if you can give it .5 cu ft a little stuffing it should be fine.

I believe aznboi is referring to acoustic insulation, It helps get rid of undesirable bass resonance.
I was referring to the stock sub-woofer box not being designed for SQ (sound quality). Ford designed something that would fit and wasn't expensive to produce without too much concern about audiophile sound quality.
MDF is a much stiffer material and won't rattle or resonate like a plastic box, giving a "cleaner" less "muddy" sound to your bass.

The dual 4ohm voice coils might be a problem, due to the 2ohm or 8ohm wiring possibilities. Can you get the single voil coil model, db804? That way you could run that amp in mono, and get "340x1 @ 14.4VDC"...

:confused: i already bought the sub and its on its way.. it was a new but discontinued item and newegg had a no return policy on it..

can i use just 1 coil then from the sub? (is that even possible?)

edit: i just saw this on th12volt.com

sas.jpg

will this wiring setup be ok for my amp?

You could just run the amp in stereo and wire one voice coil per channel, but I am not sure if that is ideal...

Running the voice coils in series, as you pictured, for an 8ohm load, would make the amp put out less than 340x1. My shot in the dark guess would be 170x1. The amp would be fine running this way though.

Yes...

You can but it is not worth it.

Just wire each coil to a channel...It 150 watts will be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, go with the wiring in the diagram above. I don't like running stereo channels to dual voice coils without the ability to separately set the gains. Too much variance.

Back