Tried searching - no luck - is it called a fuel tank pressure sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tried searching - no luck - is it called a fuel tank pressure sensor?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
My dad is having the tank replaced in his 96 and a new fuel pump assembly.

The mechanic called, says he needs a small electronic switch thats on top of the tank as its so rusty it will not come off without destroying it.
mechanic said it was $140
Is it just to turn the CEL on when the fuel cap is left off?
what is this called? what does it do? Can you live without it?

Also the mechanic says that he cannot get the filler tube off the tank. agan becauce of rust. Is it possible to just cut the rubber hose and clamp it on to the new tank? Does the special fitting holding it (and the vent tube) on have a purpose?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be this sensor - see Turdle's response at the bottom:

Transfered the old gasoline to the Civic via the tank's internal pump and a car battery -- D-D-Danger Will Robinson:
scavenging_fuel.jpg

Now for the million dollar question:
does anyone know which sensor this is:
unknown_sensor.jpg

This is what that sensor looks like removed:
unknown_sensor2.jpg
Fuel tank pressure sensor for the evap purge,

Thanks IZwack!
Must be a dealer only item, as Rockauto, autozone or advance do not show it. :mad:

I wonder if you can run without it...
May check for a junk yard piece too.

Im assuming the other connections are...

- on the pump - supply and return line
- the Fuel tank pressure sensor
- and some type of vent?

It sounds like the fuel tank pressure sensor is used to check for air leaks in the tank or gas cap seal. The details are in http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/obdsm973.pdf page 13 "evap system monitor". The PCM checks for air leaks by drawing a slight vacuum in the tank and using this pressure sensor to measure that the vacuum is maintained.

From personal experience, it will run just fine with a fuel evaporation system problem (plugged charcoal canister or leaky gas cap seal), but the CEL will stay on.

that way my check engine wont stay off because fuel pressure senor i have check engine light that stay on for p174 bank 1 running too lean i check upper fuel rail gasket and o-rings on the pantium gasket and full tune up with new coil pack and three new oxygen sensor

:usa::salute:that way my check engine wont stay off because fuel pressure senor i have check engine light that stay on for p174 bank 1 running too lean i change upper fuel rail gasket and o-rings on the pantium gasket and full tune up with new coil pack and three new oxygen sensor:mad::usa:

:usa::salute:that way my check engine wont stay off because fuel pressure senor i have check engine light that stay on for p174 bank 1 running too lean i check upper fuel rail gasket and o-rings on the pantium gasket and full tune up with new coil pack and three new oxygen sensor:mad::usa:

If I had a nickel for every one of those I installed in the two and a half years I worked production building fuel tanks.....

We called it the 'OBD-II sensor' on the line, but yes, that's what it is... just a little pressure sensor that connects to the evaporative emissions system.

If I had a nickel for every one of those I installed in the two and a half years I worked production building fuel tanks.....

We called it the 'OBD-II sensor' on the line, but yes, that's what it is... just a little pressure sensor that connects to the evaporative emissions system.

Ended up getting a new one, $150 from the local Ford dealer, needed it in a hurry and didnt have time to hunt down a used one after the better used parts places didnt have one....$150 is 10% the value of the truck!

what is that sensor/vaccum (the green fitting) to the left of the fuel pressure sensor on the picture. mine is broken and i need to know the name and function to find a new one.

This is an old post, so this answer will be of no use to the previous poster, but that's the port where the hose to the vapor (charcoal) canister goes. The fuel vapors travel through it, the gasoline is captured by the charcoal, and the evap purge solenoid puts a vacuum on the other port of the canister every so often to draw those gasoline vapors back into the intake manifold for combustion. Together with an airtight fuel cap, this keeps evaporative emissions from the gas tank from polluting the atmosphere. With the tens of millions of cars out there, this is all for the good.

Back