how can i hook up an aftermarket amp to stock headunit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how can i hook up an aftermarket amp to stock headunit

amace013

Reaction score
City, State
Tomsriver NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Sport
Does anyone know if I can do it without a hi lo converter? If anyone has any info to help I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

- Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on the amp you have it my have speaker level inputs. Most amps have both line level input and speaker level input.

Yeah I mean like hooking the rca or input cablesto the back of my head unit but I don't know if stock headunit has the inputs if they don't how would I hook it up

You can just cut the ends of one side of a set of rca's. I don't recommend it, but I have come across it several times in various vehicles I have bought or worked on. In most cases it seems to work ok. Just tie that cut end into your rear speaker outputs, and run the rca cables to your amp.

You dont want to hookup speaker level outputs of your radio to the line level (rca jacks) input of your amp. If your amp doesnt have speaker level inputs (screw terminals) then there isnt much you can do.

ummm...yes there is. get a line output converter

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html?tp=2001

not the best brand, but for my friends basic install, he didnt want to get a whole new head unit and go through all that. so we took a trip and bought one of those. wired it up, and it works perfectly. it sounds just as good as using an aftermarket head unit. his case was the first time i've ever used one, and i was honestly skeptical. turned it on and it was just fine. same deal for my ex's sisters car. bought one of those, hooked it up and sounded just fine.

Does anyone know if I can do it without a hi lo converter? If anyone has any info to help I'd really appreciate it

Thanks

- Alex

Just a minor detail - but he did say without a converter.

lets take this the next step further and say you have your amp that supports a high level input (zx1500.1) what wires would you connect? i tore off my rear sub panel (see pic) and i saw 4 wires white blue gray black (top to bottem) connected to the sub. i need help lol

edit: sorry this whole "Please enter the URL of your image:" as pose to enter directory makes it so i cant share my lovely photo
re-edit: found a similar picture on the website. please and thank you!

IMG_1547.jpg

my pioneer sub amp and a L/R input with a switch, set to speaker level with RCA's. If i remember right those wires going to the speaker are L/R +/- even though there is only one signal going in to the amp on the bottom, the speaker has Dual Voice coils.

ps. if i had an idea where you lived i could open you truck. . .good picture of the Factory Access code. . . .too.

I borrowed the picture, but his "factory access code" is that keyless entry? And In this case Is it 02579?

Back to the point at hand your saying the wires I need to hook to the amp are the ones running directly to the sub? If I splice before the amp would the input be low level? Which wires would I use? Any pictures would really help

This install is happening tomorrow, is there no one out there who has any idea what I'm talking about?

I borrowed the picture, but his "factory access code" is that keyless entry? And In this case Is it 02579?

Back to the point at hand your saying the wires I need to hook to the amp are the ones running directly to the sub? If I splice before the amp would the input be low level? Which wires would I use? Any pictures would really help
Yes,
Both,

I tried to just wire up from the radio to the aftermarket sub amp, no sound but i did see 4.5v. So i discovered, I had to use stock amp and used the output wires from the Factory Amp to the Aftermarket Sub-Amp. What i found was that the Radio wouldn't put out any signal at all if the Stock Sub Amp was not there. I'm not sure why. . .

OT yes that 02579 is his keyless door code. . .

just to be clear that pic above is for the Sub and only drives one speaker. It has nothing to do with the door speakers.

Thank you ill be off work and hooking it up soon. Any idea on which outs are positive and negative? The amp wants both from the "left" and "right" spaeker, sorry if you went over that in your thread, but i don't have time to read it in detail now.

i don't think the left or right made a difference since there was only on input to the amp. Of hand i thought the middle two where grounds, outsides where L+/R+ i'm not 100%. To find the Neg i thought the stock sub was labeled, or used a volt meter to find it.

Back