2004 explorer service engine soon light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer service engine soon light on

mamd1996

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey Girl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I took my 2004 explorer xlt (56,000 miles, no other problems)
The "service engine soon" light came on
The idiots at the ford dealership said they don't know whats wrong with my suv!
Possible things: my computer chip is not working right or my fuel pump is going?

Don't they just hook up the suv to a diagnostics thingy?

I'm a girl so I have no clue about this stuff!

I have only done oil changes every 3 months, and changed the air filter.
Otherwise, the suv has had no other service.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what should be done or what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest trying another dealer. As yes you are correct there is a diagnostic thingy that can be hooked up - sometimes its called a diagnostic scanner. Asked them 'what codes did you pull?'. Then post your codes here, maybe someone can confirm what they are. At this point it could be anything. Maybe your gas cap is lose . . . oil fill cap . . . they should be able to tell you something and if not leave. Note there may be a charge to hook up the tool or as they call diagnostic service - $45 - and yes it’s a rip off.

My 03 with 93K recently had the "check gas cap" light come on and then as the owner's manual stated, the "service engine soon" light soon came on. The gas cap seems ok to me---do they fail? Does anyone know what this might be? The truck runs great despite the warning lights. There is no AutoZone near me and I'd hate to buy a scanner if I don't need to.

I had refueled after the warning lights had come on. It has been about a week now and they still haven't reset themselves yet.

My 2004 XLT has just done the same thing (lit up the Service check light) - this was after I fitted a monster 9" K&N filter to it and took it for a run, so maybe I kinked a hose running under the intake tubing or something. The truck still goes great though - in fact the K&N is a massive improvement over the stock filter - especially as mine looked like it had been dipped in mud. Anyway, I digress....

Is there any way (other than a scantool) to clear the code. If not, anyone know where I can get a cheap scantool that works? I'm in Australia so can't go to your local auto store, but am happy to order on-line etc.

This code scanner is on sale @ harborfreight for $64

If you have a local harbor freight just print out the web page with the price an they will honor it.

If you don't have a local HFT you can mail order it...

I personally have this scanner and have used it on our 2006 mustang.. It works great. It will give you the current and pending codes and support the new CAN protocol.

~Mark

This code scanner is on sale @ harborfreight for $64

If you have a local harbor freight just print out the web page with the price an they will honor it.

If you don't have a local HFT you can mail order it...

I personally have this scanner and have used it on our 2006 mustang.. It works great. It will give you the current and pending codes and support the new CAN protocol.

~Mark
Thanks for the tip - I couldn't see international postage at Harbour Tools, but used the product description to find the same thing on ebay for under $40 USD (plus postage, of course):

I have mine ordered and it will arrive next week. Again, thanks for the tip/link - much appreciated.

The code reader will find the problem. My experience with check engine lights on other cars has been the oxygen sensors going bad. Usually easy to replace and not too expensive if you buy them online.

I have the same problem with the "service engine soon light". Went to Autozone and they scanned that is was the EGR valve. He scanned 3 x's to make sure and the computer gave him the same reading. I changed the EGR valve with factory EGR valve and had the computer reset. I drove the car to work the next day and on the way home the light came back on. I had it scanned again and the computer said the same thing the EGR valve needs to be replaced. What else could it be that is setting off this light since the EGR valve is brand new? Anyone know or had the same problem. Thanks.

Hi there -- long time listener but first time....poster?

My 2004 XLS had its "Service Engine Soon" light come on roughly a month ago. I tried to hedge my bets first by getting the oil changed and then buying a new gas cap but the light never went off. The gas cap bit fixed my wife's Dodge Stratus "Check Engine" light woes, thought it was worth($16) a try.

My fuel filter is original(78,000 miles) and was about to change that next but had yet to find the jiffy Lube open after hurricane Ike left us a bit scattered a couple of weeks ago.

I finally dropped in at a AutoZone store where they read the codes for me and it was the EGR valve and here is all that it stated.

"The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system"

Probable causes:
1 -- Blocked passage on the EGR system
2 -- Failed EGR valve
3 -- EGR solenoid faulty
4 -- Failed EGR pressure sensor where applicable
5 -- Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

The guy at AutoZone said I might just need to remove the valve and blow it clean/clean it off(out?) to get the light to go out. I haven't done anything yet since this is merely the "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" valve and find it unlikely that the truck will just suddenly stop in its tracks until I haul it in to the dealership to fix the problem.

Also, if you change it yourself just unhook the positive battery lead for a few minutes and then hook it back up. That will reset the system for you. Works on most other vehicles anyway.

Any suggestions?

My 05 had a check engine light with a code P0401... EGR same as yours... However on the 05 the EGR & DPFE sensor are one unit, not seperate like earlier ones... Big $$$ locally but found a new motorcraft on line for half price... Will arive 10/2 and hopefully will fix the problem...

just take the truck to a part store like autozone and they can hook up the scanner and tell you what the problem for free as long as the light is still on if it isnt than there is no point. hope this helps

I had it scanned again and the computer said the same thing the EGR valve needs to be replaced. What else could it be that is setting off this light since the EGR valve is brand new? Anyone know or had the same problem. Thanks.

You betcha' -- EXACT same problem - I have replaced the EGR valve and ONE of the oxygen sensors - STILL have the same code come up "EGR valve" (2002 Eddie Bauer w/4.0 L engine)

You may want to check the tube leading into the EGR valve... If you have been using fuel additives or premium could be some gunk build up in it... Also check to make sure the gasket was installed the correct way...

Gasket was installed correctly - tube looked fine - no additives used - Upon checking further - now I will just need to spend ANOTHER $35 +/- for a "DPFE sensor" - as that apparently could be the culprit:mad::mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Egr problems

Hello all, had the same problem on my Interceptor Crown Vic, I replaced the EGR and still same code. I removed the tubes to the other flow sensor, clean as could be. Swapped out the other flow sensor, same code!
I removed the throttle body and the EGR passage was CLOGGED!!!.
A little cleaning and no codes!
Hope this helps someone!

Back