• Register Today It's free!

Amazing Gas Mileage on 2013

bamacommander

Reaction score
City, State
FLORIDA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT FORD EXPLORER
Just bought a 2013 FWD XLT V6 and drove it from the dealer near Daytona Beach to St. Petersburg, about 160 miles. Filled it up right at the highway and again in St Pete. I got 25.3 mpg driving in a lot of stop and go (mostly stop) in Orlando and Tampa. When I was on the highway I drove around 65. Brand new and right out of the box Explorer. I and the wife were very pleased. How is everyone else doing with there's?:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums bamacommander!

Is your ride a V6 or the Ecoboost?

Congrats on new Explorer. That is amazing mileage and probably will not happen again.

Just bought a 2013 FWD XLT V6 and drove it from the dealer near Daytona Beach to St. Petersburg, about 160 miles. Filled it up right at the highway and again in St Pete. I got 25.3 mpg driving in a lot of stop and go (mostly stop) in Orlando and Tampa. When I was on the highway I drove around 65. Brand new and right out of the box Explorer. I and the wife were very pleased. How is everyone else doing with there's?:)
? :confused:

love it while it lasts...when i first got mine, which is a '11, it averaged 22 for the first week.....but ever since the average as been stuck at 19.... :(

April fools!!

Lol.

Seriously though, my friend had one as a rental in Florida and put almost 800 miles on it. He averaged over 24mpg for the week. On one of the longer trips, it was over 26. It was mostly highway, but had a bit of Miami traffic thrown in also. Those numbers are calculated and not from the trip meter. He was impressed, and quite jealous as his 2012 Edge Sport can't muster more than 22 on a good day :)

Lol.

Seriously though, my friend had one as a rental in Florida and put almost 800 miles on it. He averaged over 25mpg for the week. On one of the longer trips, it was over 26. It was mostly highway, but had a bit of Miami traffic thrown in also. Those numbers are calculated and not from the trip meter. He was impressed, and quite jealous as his 2012 Edge Sport can't muster more than 22 on a good day :)
he'd have to be going 60 or under which is a death trap on 95' down here. Unless he's going off the display which can be inaccurate, seen it say 25-26 mpg, but hand calc'd at 22.5 mpg avg on a V6 fwd

he'd have to be going 60 or under which is a death trap on 95' down here. Unless he's going off the display which can be inaccurate, seen it say 25-26 mpg, but hand calc'd at 22.5 mpg avg on a V6 fwd

Okay, found my original post. I was a bit generous with the numbers, lol! So much for my memory, but here is the content of the original post with the right numbers:

Friend of mine had a 2012 Limited (Sterling Grey, sunroof and some other stuff) for a rental in Florida this week. He was sending us updates on his experience with the car as my wife is in the market for one.

He very much enjoyed driving the vehicle. The V6 was peppy and moved the vehicle well. The seats were extremely comfortable, the ride was super smooth and quiet, except for one noise in particular. He described the noise that he wasn't sure where it was coming from, but it sounded like it might be the all too famous A-pillar buzz. One thing he has been impressed by is the mileage.

Keep in mind, that my friend isn't a lead foot, but he generally drives briskly and with purpose. He is not one to feather the throttle, but neither does he floor it from every stop, lol. The first tank gave 22.6MPG. This was with 65-70 on the freeway and Miami traffic, not sure of the mix of highway/city though.

While driving back from Key West to Miami, going 45-55mph, the trip computer got to 30.1mpg for a while. When he went to fill the tank again (a short fill, only 4.44 gallons added), the trip computer said 29.2mpg, but when he calculated the mileage, it was 30.16mpg!

His final tank, driving 65-70, gave him an average of 24.41mpg. He was very pleased and surprised. He wishes his 2012 Edge Sport did as well.

Total miles traveled= 791.2
Total gallons used = 32.467
Total Average MPG = 24.37

Not bad for such a large vehicle. This was also with 2 persons on board, with their luggage.

So lesson here is, drive 45-55mpg, and you will get excellent mileage.

I did a hand calculation of the mileage. I had alot of open freeway until Orlando and Tampa. I sat in traffic in Orlando for a good 45 plus minutes and was only creeping along.

I did a drive from CT to FL, with a newborn baby, so there was plenty of stopping in idling while the baby was fed and changed.

In the ~1100 mile trip, with 2 adults and a baby, 3 suitcases, a stroller, a pack and play, and a ton of toys, I averaged about 23 mpg.

That's driving 75-85 for the 2nd half of the drive, first half had a lot of rain, so mostly 65-70mph.

Right around 60mph cruising is when the RPM jumps from 1500 to 2000. Driving under 60 and keeping the RPM under 2000 when accelerating yields very good gas mileage. I get 22 consistently with 50/50 city/highway . I drive about 80 miles/day. I have a long trip in May, so we'll see how that goes.

I now have around 700 miles.Just checked the mileage with mostly city driving and I am getting 21.7. Not bad for a 4600 pound SUV. It's a V6 FWD 2013 with 20 inch tires. I checked the mileage by doing a hand calculation, it is more accurate.

Thanks for keeping us posted. There is also Fuelly.com where you can keep track of it and compare it to others.

Later :)

The other thing is that Florida is pretty flat. I saw 23 mpg in my Sport Trac on an 80 mile round-trip there. Traffic was heavy enough on I-75 that 65 mph was the fastest I could go. Best mpg I ever got in the thing.

In western PA where I live you can't drive a quarter-mile without going up a hill.

my god you people are the luckiest people in the world!!! I get 16mpg city. and my 1100 mile trip to FL last year the best i got was 19.8. My foot must be made of cement!!!!!!!!

I average 20mpg in California stop and go traffic. To me thats amazing compared to my Infinity which was averaging about 14mpg!

my god you people are the luckiest people in the world!!! I get 16mpg city. and my 1100 mile trip to FL last year the best i got was 19.8. My foot must be made of cement!!!!!!!!
That's about what I get driving from here to FL. Done it three times with this truck. The hills in WV and VA kill the mileage. And I picked up a solid 3 mpg highway with the cat-back exhaust compared to stock (city mpg is no different). Once I hit NC then it gets pretty flat. Although frankly I prefer the Auto Train. Lately to save a few bucks we drive straight through to FL in about 19 to 20 hours and just take the Auto Train home.

Around here with all the hills I get around 12-14 mpg if most of my driving is in town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We get about 24 on average with combination driving, with a fair amount of 50-70 mph miles.

When I drove from SC to Orlando area, I got 26.5 mpg one time. The other 3 times I got almost 25 mpg.

Went to IN from SC another time and got 24 mpg overall, thru the Tenn mountains and cornfields of Indiana.

Personally, I think its GREAT mileage for a car this big, with a V6. I traded a Santa Fe on it, and it only got 24 mpg on a good day with a 4 banger, and half the space....

Back