Air Suspension -Slamming an Explorer- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air Suspension -Slamming an Explorer-

Fatalshock

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I've been lingering on this website for some time and all my searches and attempts to find any rock-solid information about other peoples existing air suspension setups on the second gen Explorer have been fruitless. What I'm wanting to do is collect all the pictures, part numbers, and know how into perhaps a sticky or something. There's tons of information out there, but nothing rock solid. It's been done, and by people on the board here. Can we try to put all the pieces together and organize this info?

I've installed several air suspension "kits" before, but never on an Explorer. There's tons of things I have questions about but no good search results. For example; I'm not sure how they setup the front suspension with the torsion bars, or do they eliminate the torsion bars? what size airbags fit? Does the ranger suspension actually bolt up or not? 4-Link? Keep the leaf springs? C-notch? Pics? Part numbers? Anything?!?!

If you have a question, answer, link, or comment, here is the place to put it. Thanks - Ray

248856_45_full.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is one SICK paint job!!!! Wonder how much that cost him!

lowered explorers

im looking for all the info my self regaurding lowering the explorers with torsion bars i have 01 sport track that i want to put bags on its just stuff we need to know

That truck has or at least used to have a 2 link rear suspension = very poor design. An air ride install on an explorer is going to be 100% custom fabricated and nothing will bolt on. Do you just want bags or do you want to lay true frame? If you want I can put a full parts kit together for you my email is brian@illusivefabrications.com. Right now I am also building a full custom tube chassis for a member on here with a mustang 2 front suspension and independant rear suspension. for a 96 4dr heres his frame in the garage.

normal_small100_1990.JPG

normal_small%20rendering.JPG

Heres my body dropped explorer
normal_xpic1.jpg

normal_paintall1.JPG

normal_fp1.JPG

Absolutely awesome, guys. Thanks for the ragtop info, xfactor. My name is Ray too.
Slammedxonair, Ive been following your threads closely for a while. I'd appreciate any information you're willing to offer. While I personally want to begin assembling the parts needed for this type of build, I intended this thread more to help anyone searching for this information. I couldn't help but notice 30+ threads looking for this info and all of which have either no replies or have outdated information like "You need Ranger suspension parts..."

Mustang II suspension make the most sence, but I'm confused as to how this could be done on a stock chassis. All kits for this that are available seem to be made to fit to an existing model frame, and the Explorers frame is never on this list of applications. Now, obviously it's going to have to be VERY custom no matter what. This I understand. So no one reading this thread should think this is an easy project to tackle....it's not. I've been building my X in my free time for years, and in researching for air suspension, I always end up saying, "Ehhh, maybe next year." LOL

Lets get some pics up, and some part #'s SlammedX. Your work looks tip top, man, and I can't wait to see how you progress on that X.

Oh and I've been searching my heart out to see what was done about removing the front axle shafts when eliminating the 4wd on a 96 XLT. Is there something we can do other than getting out the sawzall or risking my wheels falling off? Thanks guys, Ray

Some pics of my X.

329513_41_full.jpg

qwefqa.jpg

329513_44.jpg

Hey Ray. Do you have more pictures of that red Explorer. I tried searching the sites but could not locate it. Also, what solenoid did you use to pop the hatch open? Did you use 2? One for the hatch door and one for the glass?

Easiest way to pop the hatch is to flip the T-handle so it is on the INTERIOR, and use 1 pull solenoid on the glass....glass pops, and if you need to open the hatch, reach in and twist the T-handle, just as if it were on the exterior.

Ryan

Spdrcer34 is absolutely right. Thats what I've got going on right now exactly, except I removed my window handle and got round headed bolts to keep the latch on the inside with just a small solenoid to pop the bearclaw. gave it a smoother look. Wow, those pics are old. Looks a lot different now.
And no, man. I've been trying to find that page where I got that pic, but If I remember correctly, there was only one picture of that truck anyway. Sry.

that red truck is on streetsourcemag.com and i think cardomain.com
As for part numbers your not going to find anything for an explorer that has a part number compressors valves tanks all that stuff are just rated by sizes and brands, not alot of universal part numbers between dealers out there other than in the products name it self. There is so many options in an air management system you can do anything just about.

An explorer is a build that is on a case by case basis and makes a HUGE differance if you just want bags or if you want to lay true frame.

As for mustang 2 parts there are universal kits that require welding and you trim the crossmember to fit your frame rails you just get your right hub to hub width. Alot of people also use pre 95 toyota pickup front clips because they have similar geometry to the mustang 2.

Also ranger suspension parts will not work on an explorer. best bet for any kind of pictures is to check out rangerpowersports.com in the lowered forum it will give you a basic idea of the process, as well as alot more people to help out.

I have a ton of questions, so I'll just list them as I think of them in no particular order.

1) Where does one find a universal mustang II front cross member?
2) How much do they run?
3) What are ones options for wheel patterns? I.E. Could I use my existing wheels?
4) Do you lose your anti lock?
5) How is the camber when slammed on a Mustang II suspension?
6) What size bags are used, and what style mounts and plates are used for mounting them?
7) When slammed with bags, does one need any drive shaft modifications?
8) hows the ride quality? (not that it matters)
9) When setting up the rear, what style setup do you recommend?
10) Is welding directly to the rear end for bag/link/shock mounts okay, or must you disassemble the rear axles first?
11) What size notch is required to lay frame (or at least go as low as possible)?
12) What must be modified in the front wheel wells/engine bay?
13) How does one know what size/style shocks to use?
14) What are ones options for using a stock front suspension?
15) What if it is currently 4wd? How do i eliminate the axle shafts without risking the wheels falling off? I already have the 4wd disconnected from the transfer case and would like to remove the whole assembly.
16) When welding in the front mustang style cross member, does it require the motor or body to be removed?
17) How about the rear? Once the sheet metal is removed from the trunk area floorboard, can everything be accessed easily enough, or must the body be removed?
18) Can my factory rear-end be slightly narrowed relatively easily by a shop or is that a difficult task? What does something like that cost? (to tuck my wheels, i would need a half inch on each side)

I wont overload you right now, but More questions will arise, I promise that. Thanks again for all your feedback so far guys. Awesome stuff!:thumbsup::D

And just to clarify, This isn't intended to be a complete newbie thread. If anyone's looking to airbag an Explorer, they had better have some fabrication experience and a good working knowledge of how an air suspension works. I am lucky enough to have both. I also understand that there will be NO bolt on parts for this process, and it could be a costly project. What I (as well as many others, I'm sure) would like to see is a part list of what has been used on already built existing setups. Explorers have been slammed many times before, it's just that the owners seem to try to keep the how tos and detailed pictures to a minimum. It's like a lost black art that no one wants to reveal the secrets of. I'm wanting to demystify this whole thing. Thanks again, Ray

And to answer weather I want bags or to lay frame, I think the bottom line here is that I want to slam this thing. Having bags just to have bags is like bolting up a supercharger just for the whistle.:confused:

Found this: http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=40/prd40.htm

Looks to be a nice product. So would that work with a factory Mustang II style suspension (control arms, steering rack, etc).? Meaning, could I get the rest of it at the boneyard and weld airbag mounts on? If so, what model vehicles would have the same suspension? That would be a nice low budget way to get the front done, right? Any thoughts on this?

1) Where does one find a universal mustang II front cross member? Heidts, ebay, welderseries.com, build your own.
2) How much do they run? depends on if you buy or build so ide say from $600-over $2000 depending on options
3) What are ones options for wheel patterns? I.E. Could I use my existing wheels? yes 5 on 4.5 and others are available for GM's I think.
4) Do you lose your anti lock? not sure havent messed with brakes to much more of a mechanic thing and im more of a air ride/ desinger/fabricator
5) How is the camber when slammed on a Mustang II suspension? pretty much the best you can get on a bagged vehicle along with the old toyota pickup suspensions, hence the point of doing the swap
6) What size bags are used, and what style mounts and plates are used for mounting them? usually 2500 but 2600 can fit if you know what your doing
7) When slammed with bags, does one need any drive shaft modifications? not really I usually move my wheel base back an inch to fix any diveshaft to tranny problems. when riding low or cali style the arc of the 4 link puts the rearend right where it should be.
8) hows the ride quality? (not that it matters) great if setup properly and with shocks, better than stock in my opinion
9) When setting up the rear, what style setup do you recommend? triangulated 4 link, you could also run a parallel 4 link with a watts link or panhard bar but you will lose room behind the axel for say a fuel cell.
10) Is welding directly to the rear end for bag/link/shock mounts okay, or must you disassemble the rear axles first? most people just weld to them unless they are narrowing them or rebuilding or something along those lines. i also suggest not welding to the cast pumpkin unless you are a very very proficiant welder with the right equipment. plus if your 4 link is on top of that it will just make your new floor have to be higher usually after tubbing for the C-notch
11) What size notch is required to lay frame (or at least go as low as possible)? I would run a 10 inch notchso you can mate the bottom of the notch to the curve of the frame and trim off the excess.
12) What must be modified in the front wheel wells/engine bay? Usually brake lines if they hit the tire, relocate wireing, and pretty much anything that gets in the way of the tire tucking including modifying or removing the ac/heater blower box.
13) How does one know what size/style shocks to use? measure where the best clearance it is 1 of those one off type of things per the vehicle
14) What are ones options for using a stock front suspension? you can use it, it usually involves nothcing for clearances, fabricating new control arms, or Z"ing the clip
15) What if it is currently 4wd? How do i eliminate the axle shafts without risking the wheels falling off? I already have the 4wd disconnected from the transfer case and would like to remove the whole assembly. some options are you can just pull the cv shafts out and have caps machined to keep the dirt out of the bearings, or go with a 2wd spindle on a stock explorer suspension.
16) When welding in the front mustang style cross member, does it require the motor or body to be removed? i would at least support the motor with a cherry pickerto keep it suspended, taking the fenders off would also give you some head room to work.
17) How about the rear? Once the sheet metal is removed from the trunk area floorboard, can everything be accessed easily enough, or must the body be removed? it really depends on how the suspension is setup, some you can get to just putting the truck on jackstands, others I would suggest putting a sealed access door such as in an over axel bag setup.
18) Can my factory rear-end be slightly narrowed relatively easily by a shop or is that a difficult task? What does something like that cost? (to tuck my wheels, i would need a half inch on each side) yes it can be narrowed if your rims are to wide, other options are to use a ranger rearend which is slightly shorter and convert your disk brakes over to it if you have them, or use a toyota pickup rearend which is also a popular option

SlammedX, Bravo. Fantastic information. I was hoping you could elaborate on number 14. By "z-ing" are you referring to cutting the portion of chassis that the suspension mounts to and raising it to lower the suspension? (....or raise it? You know what I mean...) I'm concerned about doing this for several reasons. Firstly, my tires have little clearance with the fenders now with just my TB bolts removed. I'd like to be able to at least lift the vehicle to where it is now, and it's my understanding this wouldn't help that scenario. Am I missing the point of this?

Now, I'm a pretty proficient welder, and I feel confident welding to the factory suspension, it's just that I was under the impression that one could not fully slam an explorer with the factory front. I guess it simply doesn't have enough travel. Either that or the camber will be damn near horizontal. What are the truths about this? I would have no problem If this was as simple as: 1) remove 4wd axles 2) Weld bag mount on lower control arm 3) weld upper mount to chassis 4) Notch frame and reinforce as necessary for bags 5) weld shock mounts where needed 6) run lines, wiring, and thats it. Is it that simple, or are there other things I'm not thinking of?

As nice as a Mustang II front clip would be, I don't think it's something I would want to tackle unless I was doing a full frame off. I don't plan on that any time soon... Any info (and please God, PICTURES) of an existing front setup retaining factory suspension would be great. Thanks again guys, this thread is awesome. -Ray

slammedxonair for president! :thumbsup::D

Except for the below though. :p:
You don't want to just cap that off. Your wheels will fall off. The end of that CV shaft is what is holding the bearings together. What I did with mine is I separated the end of that CV shaft (gutted it) and left that piece alone. So when you are looking at the wheel side, it looks like you still have the front axle. I would take some pictures for you but its pouring rain outside in NY right now. Let me know if you need it. I will take some tomorrow. :)

15) What if it is currently 4wd? How do i eliminate the axle shafts without risking the wheels falling off? I already have the 4wd disconnected from the transfer case and would like to remove the whole assembly. some options are you can just pull the cv shafts out and have caps machined to keep the dirt out of the bearings,

Thanks Ray. Those pictures would be really helpful. I can kind of picture what you are saying, but to see it is a different thing all together. Does this leave a stub that could interfere with bag placement? If you could also maybe explain the process of what needed to be disassembled and what tools are required, that would really help a lot of folks out. Thanks, and Merry Christmas!!! - Ray

A little ghetto but it works and more importantly, its FREE! :D :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_9159.JPG
    100_9159.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 12,590

here you go the only pics I know of off the top of my head for a stock front suspension, its a ranger edge also by the way so an explorer setup would be very similar depending on how you want to lay out and the wheel size.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227762&highlight=edge+bag

As for 4wd stuff I'm not 100% sure on how the bearings and everything are connected, the frame I'm working on now is a 4x4 but I wasnt going to detach any of it. I'm just using the stock frame for jigging purposes, well see maybe I can bag this thing once the new frame is built and do a tech article on it or someting. but im not making any promises lol I'm not even sure whats going to happen with the stock frame yet when I'm done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Do you know where the guy ended up placing his shocks?

Attachments

• Bagged Suspension.jpg
    Bagged Suspension.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 15,116
  • Bagged Suspension 2.jpg
    Bagged Suspension 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 15,518

Back