07 roof rack crossbars install? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 roof rack crossbars install?

roguewave

Reaction score
Hello

How does the plastic caps come off the rear of the roof racks.
You need to remove these before you put in the bars.
The instructions say to lift the rear of the caps and pull up.
It feels like they are going to break off though so I didn't force it.

If anyone has taken off those caps please let me know how you did this.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't offer much help on the caps, but a word of advice...

Make sure you have the bars facing the proper way when you install. My father's expedition (same bars as explorer, just longer) had a whistle from day one. He kept asking the dealer to look at it and they kept finding nothing wrong. Finally he looked very closely at my 07 explorer and noticed that mine were facing the other way. He took them off and reversed them and poof! no more whistle. It was very loud and irritating...especially since the truck is so quiet it was really something you noticed.

I feel your pain...

I just bought a 2007 Explorer and also purchased the rough rack addition. I too had the same problem. I was able to get both of the covers off; however, I snapped one of the yellow connectors inside. The directions say to lift and slide the covers off, but they don't come off this way. You think they're hard to get off, try getting them back on!!!

You think that was a problem, wait until you actually start to install the cross bars! Ford's instructions are not possible; I've taken them to the dealer and nobody could help me figure it out. Prior to installing the cross bars, the instructions ask you to slide these mostly plastic connectors into the roof rail, but it's not possible to get these pieces into the rail without breaking them in half and then sliding them one by one through the rail. The dealership actually recommended that I do this. Definitely an oversight by Ford.

I know it mine are still sitting in the box.

I had a feeling things were going to get broken if I pushed any harder.

How are the covers supposed to come off?

Let us know if you ever get them on.

it's done

If anyone is still following this thread-

I did this project yesterday and I offer the following hint: Try the installation from the rear of the vehicle. It seems that those plastic covers are easier to remove than those on the front. I removed them by pulling them up with my fingers then forcing them to the rear to unsnap. One went flying across my driveway! However it is possible to get the covers off without damage. Force is neccessary but the plastic is tough. When you put them back on be sure to hit the cover on the top to snap it into the yellow plug then slide the cover forward to lock into place.

The Ford instructions are a joke. I could only guess at what was what by looking at the picture. However, with a little study you can get them lined up and tightened down. It's worth it. They look great!

I certainly would try to do this myself before I trusted a dealers service department. Things could certainly get broken by someone who didn't love your ride as much as you do!

One more thing....if you think the crossbars are a joke, wait till you see the splash guards Ford is selling for the 07-08 models. Forget those nice molded sets they used to sell. These are flat(!) and don't even have holes drilled for installation. I'm not even gonna try....:(

I got my cover off, with great fear of breaking something. But I could not get the sliding piece to fit in the groove, as plastic under the cap was in the way. I was going to try from the front, but figured the frame was the saem on front and back. So mine are also in the box in the garage still. And when I replaced my cover it does not seem as tight. I keep expecting to see my bare plastic frame with no cover one of these days.

Any of y'all that won't put 'em on want to donate 'em to me? :D

yes. you can

Mark-

I know exactly how you feel. But yes, you can get the slider pieces in place. Make sure the end with the exposed bolt faces the back of the vehicle. You do have to work it past the plastic obstruction in the end cap but they will go and they will move freely once you get them properly in the slot. And as far as your endcap feeling "loose", make sure the cap "pops" onto the yellow connector under the cap.

Good luck! It CAN be done and it is worth the trouble. You'll be glad you took the chance. They look great.:thumbsup:

I hate drudging up an old post, but I just installed cross bars on my 2008 Mountaineer and thought I could add to the previous posts regarding what exactly needs to be done.

First, I got my cross bars new in box off of eBay for $64 delivered. That's better than the best price I found on the various Ford websites, where they sell for $85-$87 plus shipping at a minimum.

Based on the posts I read here, and with some consternation, I went about installing them myself.

First, let me be clear, the rear end-caps do not come off by pulling them UP. They come off by pulling them to the REAR. Just lift up the rear of the end-caps enough to get your fingers under the back of them and then pull forcefully to the rear. They will disconnect. FWIW, the fasteners are two-part. The bottom half is like your typical Xmas tree connector, but is meant to stay in the end-cap base at this point. The upper half is like a mushroom cap and cannot be lifted up and off without breaking the "saucer" top. The idea is to unclasp the top half by pulling to the rear of the car.

Next, install the four cross-bar guides that go into the roof rails. As was mentioned earlier, there is no need to cut or brake these parts in two pieces. They flex and will easily bend past the end-cap bases. Just make sure the "tangs" are to the rear and the tie-down "bolts" are to the front. If you get that part right, they will only go in one way, right side up.

Next, bolt up the cross-bars themselves. If you installed the guides correctly, your cross bars will only go on one (the aerodynamically correct) way.

Now, you will need to pop out the end-cap fasteners that were (hopefully) left in their bases. I did this with a flat-tip screw driver. There are slots in the sides of end-cap bases for this procedure. It will take some force to pop them out. After you are done with that, play with the bottom Xmas tree half of the fasteners by splaying out the barbs for a tighter fit when you reinstall them.

Next, install the fasteners into the end-caps you previously removed. Be sure to snap them into the end-caps between the top and second mushroom cap (there are three of them).

Then, just slide the front of the end-caps into the roof rails and push the back of the end caps back onto their bases. I tried the "popping" method and I probably banged too much. I think the action is more of a push. If your splayed the barbs on the fasteners, they should hold, although a little looser than originally. But don't worry, as things settled and the temperature changed, mine have tightened back up to almost original. Certainly not to the point where I worry about them coming off.

Lastly, if you do break an end-cap and/or fastener, a single set (RR, LR, RF, LF) is available from fordgenuineparts.com for about $22 plus shipping. I searched all over the internet and even emailed some of the fastener specialty shops, but none have indicated they can provide me with the fasteners alone.

Chris

Anyone have pics of the install?

donte26

Take a wide plastic putty knife and insert it between the cover and plastic base so it clears the lip on the base plate and then pry the cover back at the top at the side rail enough to get it to move and slide it straight back. They will install the same way. Do as Chris K said but you don't have to remove the yellow retainer button just slide it back into place when done. Remove the bolts from crossbar and screw them back into the slides to keep the nuts from falling out while you're putting them in the rails. They will clear the plastic on the base mount with a little bending. Tabs to the rear. Slide the caps back on and smack it with your hand and they'll snap back in. (This is from the back, I didn't try the front caps)

2007 Sport Trac roof rack crossbars.

Just bought a 2007 Sport Trac and it had a terrible wind noise until you get over 85 mph. After reading the posts here, it did not take long to find out the problem. It must have been done in the factory since I could not find any marks on the roof rack. Both crossbars were on backwards (bolts to the back) and the slides even were one wrong (one right and left on each side). (tab up on the bolt end or they slide hard) . It took about 20 min to remove the back on each side, reverse the slides and put the caps back on. The yellow christmas tree stays on real nice if you go straight back and when put the cap back on it locks tight.

Just use the putty knife to pry up and go straight back.

Thanks so much for the help, it made the job fast and easy.

Thanks Chris K

If you are in doubt, follow Chris K's meticulously detailed instructions. They were perfect and probably saved me from screwing this up.:thumbsup:

The cap has to come up just enough to clear the plastic lip on the bottom, probably about 1/16 of an inch. I took a thin putty knife and slid it under the cap on the back, not the base , just the cap. When I had the 2 back corners above the base, (the putty knife slid under it is enough) I took a screw driver and from the top where it meets the rail and force the cap straight back. Once it moves about 1/2 inch it slides back and off. You can bend the slides to get them in. Make sure they are in the right way. Front has a tab up and the nut for the loop bolt. The caps slide straight forward and snap them back in place. Hope that helps

So I just did this install last night and it worked fine, but you must follow Chris K's directions, even if they seem a little scary. I tried sliding the end caps back on because some others said that you don't need to pop out the yellow xmas tree, but it never seated properly, so I had to pop it out as Chris said.

ONE QUESTION:
My cross bars seem a hair loose/flexible. Is this normal? I can move the rear of the slider (the part that connects the cross bars to the roof rails) up and down about one millimeter. Not much movement, but it makes me nervous about putting gear up there. The front of the slider doesn't move at all. I've torqued down the bolt on the rear of the slider as far as it will go.

Help?

Thanks!

Mine are the same. There has to be some play otherwise you wouldn't be able to adjust the crossbars. Nothing is going anywhere as long as the front is tight.

Mine are the same. There has to be some play otherwise you wouldn't be able to adjust the crossbars. Nothing is going anywhere as long as the front is tight.

OK that makes me feel better.
Thanks!

reinstalling roof rack end caps

Great posts Chris K, etc.

One addition to reinstalling caps. start with the yellow christmas tree in place (I did not re-adjust or re-tighten it at all). line the lower part of the cap with the lower rails (on the roof) parallel to the roof. leave about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from full forward (I took the rear caps off) position. hold your hand firmly on the top of the cap (put some weight on it) and use the heel of your other hand to hit the back of the end cap toward the front of the car. give progressively harder hits until the cap pops back into place. went on smoothly and holds the same as original.

Chris K's instructions worked like a charm. I got my supports from the dealership as a condition of purchasing my Explorer, but they came with no instructions. I had no idea where to start. Took me about a half hour after reading this forum. Myonly question is do I have to tighten down the Torx bolts on the rear of the sliders or just tighted the front hand wheels? I figure I can tighten the back down enough to be snug but still allow easy adjustment. Correct thinking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi guys....can i ask you guys for a favor? i bought my 07 mountaineer new and it has about 31k miles..... from day one, i have had this freaking whistle at freeway speed and have had this vehicle in the dealership several times for wind noise diagnosis with no luck.... after reading everyone's reply about the crossbars installed the wrong way from the factory, i went out and checked how mine was installed. the crossbar is smooth on top and has a tiny lip at the bottom... which was is the lip suppose to be facing? towards the front or towards the rear? can you guys check your crossbars and tell me which way yours is facing? and if you don't mind, post it for me? this freaking noise is driving me crazy to the point of thinking of trading it in because of that noise and i just paid the car off.... i am so unhappy with the noise, everything else is okay except for a new alternator last week...which i replaced it myself even though i bought the 66 month/50k mile extra warranty in 2007....it was a weekend and could not wait for dealership to open and get the truck towed so i just bought one from oreilly's and replaced the alternator myself...everything else is satisfactory with the car except for the stupid wind noise....which i now suspect it could be the roof rack.....

Back