*HELP* CD player doesn't work... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*HELP* CD player doesn't work...

pvexplr06

Reaction score
City, State
Penfield, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
:help:Ok guys... here's what happened... I locked my keys in my '06 Explorer.. I have the keypad on the door, however, the battery was also dead. SO.. I had an auto body shop come over, and the guy got it unlocked. I asked him if he'd also give me a jump. Well, it took like 20 minutes, and nothing was happening except sometimes my interior lights would come on, then the next minute.. nothing. He wiggled the cables around a few times, took them off and tried different ones. Ok this is getting long.. but it's leading to my problem. When he hooked the cables back up, I.. yes me... I noticed he had the terminals crossed on my battery.. ya know.. the red on the black, and black on the red.. I know there's a name for it but I forget..LOL.. Well, I said.. Um... I think ya got that mixed up.. So, it was on the wrong terminals for about 15 seconds or so. Ok, so it finally started, but, it blew a fuse on my stereo. I have the factory 6 cd changer. I got the radio to work, but NOW........ I know for a fact that I have at least 4 cd's in there, and it says NO DISC. When I press the load button, it says LOAD ERROR, and when I press the eject button, it says NO DISC. Someone please.. tell me.. do you think it's screwed up because of the cross terminal thing? Is there some sort of master reset that I can do? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks guys!

fyi.. I have disconnected the power source for 20 minutes as suggested by an installer.. that did nothing. I've also tried to insert a cd into the slot and wiggle it around to maybe 'loosen' any cd that might be stuck. When I did that.. I could hear it inside there trying to do something.. but it's still stuck.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, try doing a search, you'll get several possible fixes
Here's mine, unplug the stereo (not the battery terminal) the stereo, unplug it and leave it like that for a short while, then when you plug it back in, it will do a self test, that might get it going.
Else you can open the changer part of the HU to see if one of the trays got off of it's track (that happened to mine)

If your handy you should be able to separate the two units. I tried the do-it-yourself repair had it working for trays 1-5 but once i hit tray 6 it ground to a halt. . .I wound up sending just the CD unit for repair, cost like $80+shipping. Found them on Fleabay. If you send the whole radio its like $125 to fix. It must be shipped back in shipping mode and with something holding the trays down otherwise they fall off the spindle.

update..

Thanks guys for your replies..suggestions... An installer refused to look at it.. said he didn't do anything with factory stereos...whatever.... So, I took it to Ford, and I told them what happened. They pulled it out.. said it's screwed and that they would send it away and then Ford sends me a replacement unit for a mere $400...plus labor of course. He said he couldn't say for sure whether the cross terminal thing messed it up, but there's a chance that it did. So.. word of advise.. don't ever do it.

Again.. thank you for your help.

:)

sorry but there is just no way that crossed terminals would cause a load error in that head unit, im 99% sure that something else happened, manufacturing issue maybe... in fact it sounds like your entire electrical system is freaking out...

anyway if you haven't already spent that 400$ go here and check out aftermarket head units, you can get a good one for under 100$ from this site and they aren't hard to install
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i11_all-in-dash-car-stereo-receivers.html

sorry but there is just no way that crossed terminals would cause a load error in that head unit, im 99% sure that something else happened, manufacturing issue maybe... in fact it sounds like your entire electrical system is freaking out...

anyway if you haven't already spent that 400$ go here and check out aftermarket head units, you can get a good one for under 100$ from this site and they aren't hard to install
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i11_all-in-dash-car-stereo-receivers.html

try going to www.onlinecarstereo.com they got stuff at whole sale prices. i got my **** for 127 dollars and its an awesome HU. :p: i personally would have left the dealership as a last resort.

Back