• Register Today It's free!

Need your advices

tumorex

Reaction score
City, State
Davao
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
A few weeks back I sent my 2001 sport trac for repair of leaking transmission oil, the shop discovered several issues with regards the transmission, including a broken timing chain guide. They needed to pull out the engine in addition to bringing down the transmission for the needed repairs. While in the process of the rapair they also needed to replace a leaking thermostat housing and waterpump. I was suppose to get my unit last Tuesday but they informed me that when they tried to start and test the engine they noted all 6 injectors needed to be replaced. IS THIS POSSIBLE? When I brought my unit in it was running well with good power and acceptable fuel consumption, my only issue was some rough idle when at a standstill, otherwise my unit was running well. Any advise what to do now? Thank you so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the trans leak, but if they had to pull the trans to fix it, it's a good idea to replace the rear timing chain parts (as either the engine or trans must be removed to do it and these parts are problematic on the 4.0L SOHC as well as the front T/C components). As far as the injectors needing to be replaced, if it ran okay when you drove it into the shop, I don't understand why they would suddenly need to be replaced. Rough idle on the SOHC is typically cause by vaccum leaks which are often related to the intake manifold O-rings and/or a split PCV elbow, but the Job 2 intake O-rings are more durable and fatter than the Job 1 upper & lower intake O-rings.

The plastic thermostat housings on the SOHC is prone to developing leaks with age.

Thank you for the reply sir Kodak. Yes I agree that it seems unusual to have a unit I drove in to have all 6 injectors suddenly be a problem. The other repairs I had no issue, now I am left to wonder what the mechanics did to cause my unit not to run anymore.

Thank you for the reply sir Kodak. Yes I agree that it seems unusual to have a unit I drove in to have all 6 injectors suddenly be a problem. The other repairs I had no issue, now I am left to wonder what the mechanics did to cause my unit not to run anymore.

Yeah, I'm wondering that too. Hopefully he didn't mess up the cam timing.

Hi tumorex, did you take your ST to Ford Davao for service ? They would have timing tools, but if a local shop they could have set timing incorrectly, when replacing timing chain guide/ cassette if no timing tools.
I doubt 6 fuel injectors needed replacing one or two maybe. The other problematic area with ST is the fuel pump, but that is simple to diagnose.

One time I had an issue that sounds similar. It was an 02 4.0 with leaking valve covers. With my ocd I like everything clean so I used probably 3 cans of brake clean washing down all the gunk. Put everything back together and had a CEL for 4 injector faults and it would barely spudder. The connectors were plugged in but they were full of splattered junk from my cleanup job. Took the intake back off, brake cleaned the connectors and it was good to go. I now am much more thorough in my cleanup jobs.

Hi tumorex, did you take your ST to Ford Davao for service ? They would have timing tools, but if a local shop they could have set timing incorrectly, when replacing timing chain guide/ cassette if no timing tools.
I doubt 6 fuel injectors needed replacing one or two maybe. The other problematic area with ST is the fuel pump, but that is simple to diagnose.
Hi David, thank you for the reply. I usually have my unit's underchassis works done at tiresmart, engine works at ford lanang. When I left for a vacation I decided to have the transmission leak repair done at tiresmart since the owner assured me they can do it, and their location is very convenient for me(I live in Matina). Sadly, they seem to have done something really wrong this time. I already have had my fuel pump changed at Ford Davao a year ago. I really don't know what to do now, they are asking me to buy 6 new injectors now, on top of all the other parts they added to change besides the transmission timing guide--water pump, thermostat housing, tensioner to name a few.
What do you think would be the best thing for me to do now? Thank you so much sir!

One time I had an issue that sounds similar. It was an 02 4.0 with leaking valve covers. With my ocd I like everything clean so I used probably 3 cans of brake clean washing down all the gunk. Put everything back together and had a CEL for 4 injector faults and it would barely spudder. The connectors were plugged in but they were full of splattered junk from my cleanup job. Took the intake back off, brake cleaned the connectors and it was good to go. I now am much more thorough in my cleanup jobs.

Hi Boomin, thank you for the reply, how I wish I had the skill, know how and tools to do the job myself. Now, I am stuck with my unit in a shop who seem ill equipped to do the job right!

I have a friend that would at a simular type garage. The manager was charging for work that was not done. My friend the mechanic found out about it and quit on the spot. His ethics were better. The manager eventually got caught and was fired. I would ask for all the old parts before paying. No parts, no payment. Something sounds fishy to me.

Hi all, i have decided to pull out my unit from the shop and transfer to Ford Davao for repairs, hopefully Ford Davao would know what the shop did wrong.

Hi all, i have decided to pull out my unit from the shop and transfer to Ford Davao for repairs, hopefully Ford Davao would know what the shop did wrong.
i would sue for other shop to pay for repair bill at Ford Davao. you didn't mess it up the other shop did and probably didn't know what they were doing in the first place.

Hi everyone, I just want to share the good news that my ST is now running, engine's is really running quiet now. My oldschool mechanic replaced 4 of the 6 injectors and also place new spark plugs. My ST is back in the mountains finally!

Back