5.0 Sport Trac Lives | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Sport Trac Lives

Wow

Very Nice, want to do my 05 sport trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I charged by the hour, it might be cheaper for you to take it to performance shop to do it. :)

well your 5.0 looks really awesome ttbit I have the 4.0 st and rear timing chain is giving me noise, so I'm gonna see about replacing the tensioner first, but if I have to pull the motor then I want to go back with a 302. I dont know why the v8 was not an option on the st in '01:mad:

Thank you. I am not sure why it wasn't an option. Good luck and be sure to let me know if you do decide to do the swap.

What about emissions and inspection for your state? In Missouri they plug into your computer to get codes before passing it. So it looks like this conversion may not happen to my ST. Have you had any issues with this?

What about emissions and inspection for your state? In Missouri they plug into your computer to get codes before passing it. So it looks like this conversion may not happen to my ST. Have you had any issues with this?

I am running a full exhaust system and getting no error codes, so I don't see how it would be a problem. They should be happy about my truck. It is cleaner and quieter than half the Honda crappers around here. :) Of course, if you want my truck, I am ready to sell it today. I think my heater core is leaking and I don't want to take that on. I am trying to heal my neck...

I am running a full exhaust system and getting no error codes, so I don't see how it would be a problem. They should be happy about my truck. It is cleaner and quieter than half the Honda crappers around here. :) Of course, if you want my truck, I am ready to sell it today. I think my heater core is leaking and I don't want to take that on. I am trying to heal my neck...

What about your computer though? Since it is from a different year vehicle wont it affect the emission computer that is reading the codes? Or do you not even have the inspections we have here in Missouri?

Thanks for the happy birthday.

As for the computer year...I guess that depends on their inspection. When I lived in Michigan, they did emissions testing that actually measured the tailpipe. That is all that should matter, but who knows. They don't have that in MI anymore. It's all about making money, so you never know what kind of laws are in the books until you go through and read them.

I hope it isn't bad for you.

Well, Happy Birthday!!

Ditto congrats, and stay warm now.

Most testing will as the worst case require an equal or later PCM, or at least passing the vehicle year levels. That shouldn't be a problem in most states except those without common sense in the law. Regards,

Of course, if you want my truck, I am ready to sell it today.

Holy crap. I guess I will take that back. My truck must have Internet and got ticked off at me. The alternator went out on me today. I was on the other side of town and wouldn't be able to make it back home on battery alone. Luckily, my friend offered to take me to the auto parts store and use his tools and garage. I was driving him home at the time and we were only a few miles away from his house when it died.

So...get this...By the time I saw the battery light come on, to the completed repair was (1) hour. This was after going to his house, cleaning his garage so the truck would fit, driving to the parts store, then replacing and looking at the time on my way home. Man...we are lucky that we have auto parts stores around like we do, and this is probably the easiest component in the truck to replace.

This alternator was off the '96. Can't complain about that life-span, plus I knew it was going bad but I was stupid enough to listen to an alternator repair shop here locally that told me not to worry about it and that the voltage drop at idle was normal. It sure is nice to have full voltage at idle with my headlights on, and fan blowing heat. ...and I lived with it for months with bad idle voltage...

Good catch my friend.

My 99 SOHC truck died yesterday a few miles from work. I got it towed home after work, I think it's the fuel pressure. The alternator is about the easiest repair, even more so on the 302(same part). I'm betting my issue will be the rubber fuel line between the pump and regulator, in the tank. It's a lot cold right now to drop a tank along the curb outside.

For alternator work, I recommend a place east of downtown, basically SE of the Hall of Fame Blvd area. It's in the phone book, and they were quick and did good work. I had them check over a junkyard part from a later model to upgrade my 91 Lincoln, and my aftermarket SOHC alternator. They didn't see anything special in the DB Electronics piece, besides the bigger windings that make it a 170 amp part. They can build that from a stock unit. Regards,

Sorry to hear that Don. It's a pain dropping the tank to swap the pump out. It doesn't look like the weather is going to get any better anytime soon!! Thanks for the info on the shop. I will check that out next time. Maybe I will get my spare core rebuilt.

I'm going to spend this week working on my housework and the 4R70W I need to build, plus the fuel pump. That jet stream is a thorn in our side in Winter, that gives us the really cold weather.

Do you think a 5.4 would fit in there?

Yeah, but you may as well go all the way and do the 1100 ci Sherman tank motor. Wouldn't be much more trouble.

ScreenHunter_02Dec220656.gif

It runs

Does someone want to hold my hand thru the wiring on a 5.0 conversion? :) The wiring is the only part I don't have a full understanding of. I have no hesitations about getting the 5.0 in place, exhaust, and fuel, its just a few wiring related issues I am not sure of. I have read info from Rwenzeg and others that mention issues with the new gauge cluster in the 04-05 tracs, and that there will be issues with the speedo, and PATS...

I have an 05 sport trac 2wd. There are plenty of 5.0 awd or 2wd explorers around my area for good prices. I have a great place with plenty of room and tools to work on the swap, and don't have to deal with emission issues...

Ttbit, did you ever have a blog up with any more details on this swap? Looks like a few pages back there were some links, but maybe your page is down now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ttbit, did you ever have a blog up with any more details on this swap? Looks like a few pages back there were some links, but maybe your page is down now?

I think they took it down. I will have to search some more, but I can login but don't see anything.

I believe your 2005 will be quite different from my 2001. I feel I was lucky to have a 96 drivetrain to swap in, as all of my gauges worked with minor modification. The VSS was easy also, and it was the year before PATS so no problems there. My security light blinks for a few minutes, but that is about it. I am still running a stock tune.

You do need to pay attention to some +12 / GND changes made through the years. Even the alternator wires moved around from one harness to another. Just get good schematics from both years and it really shouldn't be that bad. If you have any specific questions, PM me and we can exchange through email if you like. If you started your own thread, let me know also. I haven't gotten on the forums much lately, but am interested in your project. Someone contacted me a year or so ago, but I have not heard back from him. It sounded like he was doing a serious project too.

As a daily driver in the winter, I was getting about 17 mpg, so I am pretty happy with it. I believe I have about 312,000 miles on her now.

Good luck!

Back