• Register Today It's free!

What would it take?

ssalvi

Reaction score
City, State
Central MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer NBX
What would it take to put a set of BFG AT's on my 04 Explorer?
LT 315 / 70 R 17

New wheels? 6" lift? Is it even worth it?

I have the availability to get 5 of these tires for $400. I need tires anyway that are going to run me about a grand new, so I was thinking if I can get a lift and everything for the same $$$ it's worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What would it take to put a set of BFG AT's on my 04 Explorer?
LT 315 / 70 R 17

New wheels? 6" lift? Is it even worth it?

I have the availability to get 5 of these tires for $400. I need tires anyway that are going to run me about a grand new, so I was thinking if I can get a lift and everything for the same $$$ it's worth it.

315's are super fat tires. I can't recall seeing an explorer with anything wider than 285's. Off the top of my head you'd need new wheels with the correct backspacing, a suspension lift and a body lift. The lift alone will run you at least $800; never mind the new wheels. Even then I think you'll have some clearance issues.

I say take the good deal then sell them for a profit. Then go out and buy your tires.

It's going to cost you a lot more than $1000 to get those to fit. Best just to either pass on them or buy with intent to resell for profit. You can fit 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 on there now with no or minimal lift (ie, the $50 1.5" body lift). Also, Treadwright makes the Warden (almost an exact copy of the bfg at) in those sizes for about 120 a tire.

285 width is about as wide as you can fit, but it requires trimming and lift. Anything larger than 285 will need either a spacer or more offset to bring them out, so they don't rub on the steering knuckles, but then you will have your tires stick out about an inch or so outside of the wheel well, and I personally don't like that look.

I have a set of 265/70/17, about 2 inches larger than stock, on stock wheels and they fill the wheel well nice and don't rub at all, they are also 20mm wider, so about 3/4 of an inch wider as well. 285 were fitted just because i wanted to see how they fit, and they FILLED the wheel wells, no way to run those without a lift and MAJOR trimming as far as I could see.

Those are basically 35"s man (Standard size: 34.4x12.4/17). Not an easy thing to just fit on there. Definitely going to need a lift. I'd say buy them, resell them for more, and buy some tires that fit your truck now (or with minimal lift).
Or, a much more fun option, SAS!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks guys...I had a feeling it would be a nightmare. Sounds like a future project maybe? :)

Thanks guys...I had a feeling it would be a nightmare. Sounds like a future project maybe? :)

For you and everyone else in here :bigthumbup:

Once I get my gears in I want to possibly run a 34" tire but that'd be pushing it....

Back