I want to add bluetooth to 3rd gen changer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I want to add bluetooth to 3rd gen changer

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
I have the "audiophile" 6-cd in-dash changer with (inactive) satellite. I think many of the adapters that have been discussed in past years are discontinued but the iSimple ISFM2351 will do what I need...I think.

Any suggestions, reviews, feedback would be appreciated.

2004 Explorer Limited 4.6

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know anything about this unit but what I read on the internet and YouTube, it seems very promising. Please keep us updated should you find anymore info.

I'm eager to see if this works. I just purchased an 04 and was trying to figure out how to add an aux input - but Bluetooth would be much better.

Have you ordered it? The price seems pretty fair.

I got one after Christmas but I haven't installed it yet. One problem I had to overcome is the truck antenna wire has a connector right behind the glove box -- which is real handy and means I don't need to touch the radio-- but it's a non-standard plug that I had to order an adapter for.

Hoping to get it at least tested this week.

From the video it looks like this uses a FM radio station. Is it modulating it? Or is it input directly through the antenna feed?

I've had terrible success with FM Modulators is why I ask...

The iSimple is an fm modulator -- but it goes in the antenna line instead of broadcasting through the air.
I've had bad luck with fm transmitters too. I think by cutting the antenna feed when ON it will eliminate channel interference.

I'm eager to see if this works.

I finally finished the install today and at least I can say it DOES work. The unit passes the over the air signal from the antenna to the radio when bluetooth is off, and opens the feed so the radio only "sees" the adapter channel. On/off, stream/play/skip/answer call/activate voice recognition. ..all controlled by a single button stuck on the dash. That and the little mucrophone are the only visible parts of the system -- the rest is behind the dash. It'll take some getting used to the one button control, and getting used to voice commands but in the end I think it'll be safer than tapping on my phone while I drive.

I'll put up some pictures and more impressions soon.

Sounds good, looking forward to the pictures and your impressions.:)

It's a keeper. Audio quality is excellent and volume is good. The volume into your radio also depends on your phone and the app you are using so it's hard for me to state you will be happy with it. All I can say is I'm disappointed with the (different) BT adapter in my car because the output is low and I have to turn the radio up to max -- to the point I can hear all the vehicle hiss, clicks and pops. This one doesn't have that problem.

By interrupting the antenna feed I no longer have to deal with strong local stations breaking in over the adapter. For Ford it's necessary to buy an antenna adapter off Amazon or eBay but it's just a couple dollars. The pic shows where the factory antenna wire is (orange).
1422913713.jpg

The BT adapter is the grey metal box and the white thing on the left is a 12 to 5V USB adapter in a plastic sleeve that I added so my phone power was also hidden behind the dash. I had to run a wire over to the driver side in order to tap into switched power (green/dk.green).
1422913731.jpg

This adapter accesses most phone functions by using the one-button remote to activate the phone voice recognition. The adapter has own microphone for VR and phone calls. I mounted the mic to the left of the overhead console and ran the mic wire tucked under the front edge of the headliner and down behind the A-pillar where it joins the rest of the rats-nest behind the glove box.
1422916011.jpg

Here's the result. The phone mount is from Scosche and its a magnet that grabs a thin steel plate hidden under my phone case. No fussing with clips or springs. The USB cord and the adapter control button ("phone" symbol on left side of bezel) wire are hidden behind the bezel. Everything is pretty easy to get to if there is ever a problem in the future.
1422913680.jpg

Back