• Register Today It's free!

2005 5r55s trans removal

rwt101

Reaction score
City, State
pigeon forge tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I am in the process of removing my 5r55s trans from my 2005 Explorer. It looks like I have to remove the front exhaust system. Just wanted to make sure that I had to. Exhaust manifold bolts can be a big problem sometimes.
The trans has no reverse and is missing some gears. Just drained the fluid and it is very dark smell burnt. I suspect a broken reverse band and bad servo bores to be most of the problem.
Bob T

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the wire harness for the 5r55s has a main connector in the engine compartment?
Bob T

The answer to your first question is yes you do need to remove the front pipe. The answer to your second question is also yes but you are better off disconnecting the individual connectors from the trans since you will have to do that anyway. Helpful hint check the connector for the solenoids to see if it comes out of the trans. If it wont come out easy remove the pan and solenoid block then you can tap it out with a rubber mallet.

Thanks that is a great help.
Bob T

Well the monster is out. It took about 6-8 hours over 3 days to do it. I am 72 and the heat and humidity get to me. I only could work a few hours at a time.
Next I will take it apart.
Bob T

Well the monster is out. It took about 6-8 hours over 3 days to do it. I am 72 and the heat and humidity get to me. I only could work a few hours at a time.
Bob T

I considered this. But bit the bullet and had a transmission shop take care of it all. My biggest concern is what if i had to take it out a second time. It took the shop less than two hours to have it out and on their work bench. Servo bores sleeved, master kit used, new solenoid block and new torque converter. $2000. 1 year warranty.

help!!!!!

i am in dire need of help i have no reverse and no OD i have the rebuild kit with the bands but need some help on how to get to the trnas upper bolts i can do the rebuild but need help n removing the monster can anyone plz help me on the steps please

Bob T

What is the specific reason for disassembling the transmission? Also, I applaud your efforts; I'm 73 and finding this kind of rugged work is getting to be pretty painful! imp

No reverse-missing some forward gears- blinking OD light and motor revving up between some shifts.

It was a chore for me to get it out by myself. I don't have a garage so it was outside on the ground. If I would have had to money I would have a shop do it.
I still have to get It back together and then get it back in the Explorer. I somehow have to get it onto the trans jack under the car.
Bob T

No reverse-missing some forward gears- blinking OD light and motor revving up between some shifts.

It was a chore for me to get it out by myself. I don't have a garage so it was outside on the ground. If I would have had to money I would have a shop do it.
I still have to get It back together and then get it back in the Explorer. I somehow have to get it onto the trans jack under the car.
Bob T

Get some young strong guy to help you. Pay him a couple bucks if necessary. To save some weight, you might put the trans up on the jack minus the converter, put that in after, make sure it seats properly! If the converter is not seated in the front pump, and the bellhousing bolts tightened, it will break the pump casting. imp

i am in dire need of help i have no reverse and no OD i have the rebuild kit with the bands but need some help on how to get to the trnas upper bolts i can do the rebuild but need help n removing the monster can anyone plz help me on the steps please

Try offset box end wrench from up in the engine compartment. Heat and bend the end of the wrench if necessary. imp

That is a thought. It would make it lighter without the converter.
I am still waiting on parts.
Bob T

yeah the reverse and 5th is gone and OD light is blinking. here is the epic story blew out the timing chain and with it me crankshaft bearings with a rod. so i pay to have a long block to be installed and figured what the heck i know it needs it why not service the trans since its going to be out. but when it was put back together the car would shift but not move though t they messed it up. they said my pump ( my guess miss-aligned torque converter and broke the pump.) then they fix it at my cost i knew i needed a new selinode pack had one on order. before i could get it in the TSS senser melted and throtal body was acting up replaced the tss buy then started to loose reverse and lost OD completely thought may be if i check for thr adjustments on the bands . the intermedite torqued to 120 inch/lbs but the OD band did not (no resistance at all) so i know i have a bad OD band and most likly need to rebuild the fwd and back cluch pads and replace the all the bands but want to make sure i had all my ducks in a row.

any steps that have worked for you guys in the past to make this easier wuld be greatful. and thanks to sgully67 thats looks like it will help alot!!

I got to my upper bolts through the wheel wells with a 3/8" flex head ratchet. It's a reach, but the flex head allows you to angle the handle forward, toward the wells.

Back