Custom Flatbed for Ranger - Can Do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Flatbed for Ranger - Can Do?

scottdev

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT - 3.0L V6 FI
I want to remove the existing truck bed and have a nice steel frame flatbed with solid oak flooring and stake sides created for my ranger but wondering about some of these issues below. I will be hauling mostly residential furniture and appliances, etc. (no heavy equipment). Any constructive input would help!

- Since not 4wd and only 6 cy - wonder if hauling stuff will wear out transmission quick? Can I upgrade trans?

- Should I replace suspension with more heavy duty parts? Will it do any good given the fact the frame itself if the most limiting factor?

- Can I replace camshaft with better one?

What can I say - the truck is paid for and can't really afford a box/moving truck right now - but need more hauling capacity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More hauling capacity? Why not just get a trailer....probably cheaper...and its way bigger than a bed

- Since not 4wd and only 6 cy - wonder if hauling stuff will wear out transmission quick? Can I upgrade trans?

- Should I replace suspension with more heavy duty parts? Will it do any good given the fact the frame itself if the most limiting factor?

- Can I replace camshaft with better one?

1. yes you will wear it out faster especally the heavier the load. You are working it harder $wd wouldnt make it haul more. No upgrades for the tranny for a 3.o
2. You could add a leaf to the rear springs if you want. Myabe swap an explorer 8.8 in to the rear with deeper gears if the truck is loaded the majority of the time.
3. not sure if a cam is available for the 3.0. It is an odd ball motor that isnt supported very well.

I agree get a trailer it would be cheaper and would allow you to haul more weight. Welcome to the site.

your tranny should be just fine they are built to hual a lot of weight about 4,000 pounds eaisly and they suspension on these trucks are made for a beating i have had over 1500 pounds in the bed of my truck and it did not squat at all so i say you dont need a diff tranny and you suspension should handle the job without any problems

What can I say - the truck is paid for and can't really afford a box/moving truck right now - but need more hauling capacity.
I think you can easily find an old pickup with at least a 5 liter engine for a few hundred dollars around your area -- which you can then modify to your likings. Search CraigsList.org or something (CraigsList originated not too far from you after all: San Fran).

The advantage of using a larger (but older) truck is that in the long run, the small block Chevy/Ford engine will greatly reduce your cost on rebuild and replacement parts. Oh, the Chevy 4.3 liter is also a great torquey engine and came in Chevy S-10s -- but that would be the smallest engine I'd opt for.

your tranny should be just fine they are built to hual a lot of weight about 4,000 pounds eaisly and they suspension on these trucks are made for a beating i have had over 1500 pounds in the bed of my truck and it did not squat at all so i say you dont need a diff tranny and you suspension should handle the job without any problems

I had about 3000 punds in the bed and another 3000 on a trailer....my truck was about to do a wheelie...lol:eek:

Back