Adding Exterior Temperature Sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Exterior Temperature Sensor?

Cashcrazy

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Explorer
I have an 03 and I can see what looks to be an exterior temperature option near the odometer when the key is first turned on and all of the lights are illuminated. I have access to an Eddie Bauer explorer for parts with this option. Is this a single sensor that would be as simple plugging in and mounting? I am just curious if anyone has done this or researched it. I realize that the wiring is probably all tied in together and probably not worth the trouble.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears my explorer was not equipped with an ambient air sensor. I believe it should be mounted on the left side of the picture. It was dark and I was trying to get a shot through the grill so it's not the clearest pic. I can pull the sensor and wiring, but does anyone know if the wiring runs to a plug or splices in the harness?

The bottom left of the odometer display has the ability to display temperature, but is my computer even capable?

I didn't realize how much I used the temp gauge until i went without.

I have had it about a week. I also have a 2011 explorer. I found this one and couldn't pass it up.

I found that post earlier. That is how I knew where to look for the sensor. Oddly enough I had to replace the ambient air sensor on the 2011 not long ago.

It appears my explorer was not equipped with an ambient air sensor. I believe it should be mounted on the left side of the picture. It was dark and I was trying to get a shot through the grill so it's not the clearest pic. I can pull the sensor and wiring, but does anyone know if the wiring runs to a plug or splices in the harness?

The bottom left of the odometer display has the ability to display temperature, but is my computer even capable?

I didn't realize how much I used the temp gauge until i went without.

Mine has that same display but only shows OD/Trip. Would love to have the temp and compass.

TechGuru- I have been searching more on this. All I can find are posts just like mine where someone wants to add the option. I haven't looked on mine yet but other posts have suggested that the plug is in place, but the temp doesn't automatically start working when the sensor is plugged in. Maybe the XLS computer isn't capable?? The compass will be my next project.

Back