• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Intake Advice

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
If you find yourself removing the Intake from your 4.0 SOHC and you decide not to replace the gaskets because the existing ones "seem ok"...Punch yourself as hard as you can in the face. You'll want to later when that decision causes you to have to re-remove the intake to replace them later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Confession time. When I had mine off to get to the PCV valve behind it, everything went well until right after I finished up torquing the last bolt. I realized that one electrical connectors wasn't connected and it was now trapped in a location that I couldn't get it without taking off the intake again.

The second time was a lot faster though so hopefully it will be for you also.

Yeah...I made that mistake of not replacing the gaskets on my '05 Sable when I had the intake off to replace the rear plugs. Ran worse than before I changed the plugs. Anyway, just replaced the leaky thermostat housing and was sure to have a new set of gaskets for the intakes. As Sehaare states, one sure needs to pay attention to how the wires/hoses are positioned when you put things back together or there may not be enough slack to connect some of them.

I assembled mine with RTV gasket maker, with the standard gaskets as well.

I assembled mine with RTV gasket maker, with the standard gaskets as well.

You (or a future owner) may end up hating yourself for that . . .

You (or a future owner) may end up hating yourself for that . . .

Don't see why. I've been using RTV for gaskets for years and have never had any trouble.

You do it carefully, you don't just splurge it on.

Back