• Register Today It's free!

Sport ride vs. the other models

rrose

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I haven't had a chance to test drive the different models yet. I see that the Sport model is stated to have "sport tuned suspension". Can anyone give me the scoop on this. I assume the ride of the Sport model is more harsh than the ride of the other models. Am I correct?

If the Sport model was available in Oxford white.... I would have already bought it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is a bit late - but I'm new to the forum as well. I've been test driving Sports, Limiteds, and XLTs and have decided on the Sport. It is, as you expected, a little harsher ride but it handles pretty well considering it's size and weight. I thought that the others were way to boatish and coming from a Mercedes C-Class with Sport suspension - I just had to do the Sport.

It is firmer but it's not harsh by any stretch.

Definitely not a "harsh" ride at all.

New here myself...Had to chime in on this one. I also agree that the Sport does not ride harsh. Firm (and fun) would better describe it. LOVE my Sport! I am always looking for an excuse to drive it.

Once you experience the drive, your decision will be easy! ;)

I know this is a bit late - but I'm new to the forum as well. I've been test driving Sports, Limiteds, and XLTs and have decided on the Sport. It is, as you expected, a little harsher ride but it handles pretty well considering it's size and weight. I thought that the others were way to boatish and coming from a Mercedes C-Class with Sport suspension - I just had to do the Sport.

Not to say that it's harsh. A little more so than the boat but not objectionable. I'm picking up my '13 Ruby Ex Sport on Thursday with ± 18,500 miles. :)

I also agree that the Sport does not ride harsh. Firm (and fun) would better describe it. LOVE my Sport! I am always looking for an excuse to drive it.

Once you experience the drive, your decision will be easy! ;)

+1 Great car for road trips! Comfortable ride and plenty of power to pass.

I haven't had a chance to test drive the different models yet. I see that the Sport model is stated to have "sport tuned suspension". Can anyone give me the scoop on this. I assume the ride of the Sport model is more harsh than the ride of the other models. Am I correct?

If the Sport model was available in Oxford white.... I would have already bought it!

I purchased white platinum met tri-coat XLT with the appearance package and did quite a bit test driving. I found what made the biggest difference in the ride were the size of wheels/tires. The 18" wheels/tires were smoother, but I ended up with the 20" wheels that came with the package. Unlike the two other explorers I've owned, this one drives much more like a car than a truck, an overall very smooth ride.

Explorer Sport ride is actually pretty nice/comfortable. You do feel a few more bumps in the road compared to the non-sport models...but the handling improvements are well worth it in my opinion.

We bought the sport and are super happy with it! It's really fun to drive.

Sport tuned ride

Just to put in another point of view. I recently rolled my Navigator which has caused me to test drive new vehicles. I was looking forward to purchasing the MKX until my test drive with my son, the certified mechanic. WOW we were disappointed. SO on to the explorer. When we drove many many different iterations of XLT, Sport, Limited and Platinum.
Being a retired older guy and used to the Navigator I was looking for a cushy (some will call it boat) Lincoln like ride. I do not enjoy feeling the bumps in the road just so I can go around a corner at 5-10 mph faster.
So our ideal ride for my requirements is not available!!! It would be a Limited (since the Sport and the Platinum both have the sport suspension); with 18 inch wheels and the 3.5 Ecoboost.
So I ordered a Limited with the 3.5 non-ecoboost and have an a agreement with the dealer to put the XLT 18 wheels on it. He was happy to oblige as he will put the 20s on an XLT and charge for them.
All of this is very subjective based on two guys opinions searching for a "Lincoln like" ride.

my '15 sport rides just fine, handles decently with just me and the wife on board… when loaded down with 4 adults and luggage on a 2,300 mile trip it actually rode better and handled just as good on the interstates at all speeds,it was a real comfortable trip.

Just to put in another point of view. I recently rolled my Navigator which has caused me to test drive new vehicles. I was looking forward to purchasing the MKX until my test drive with my son, the certified mechanic. WOW we were disappointed. SO on to the explorer. When we drove many many different iterations of XLT, Sport, Limited and Platinum.
Being a retired older guy and used to the Navigator I was looking for a cushy (some will call it boat) Lincoln like ride. I do not enjoy feeling the bumps in the road just so I can go around a corner at 5-10 mph faster.
So our ideal ride for my requirements is not available!!! It would be a Limited (since the Sport and the Platinum both have the sport suspension); with 18 inch wheels and the 3.5 Ecoboost.
So I ordered a Limited with the 3.5 non-ecoboost and have an a agreement with the dealer to put the XLT 18 wheels on it. He was happy to oblige as he will put the 20s on an XLT and charge for them.
All of this is very subjective based on two guys opinions searching for a "Lincoln like" ride.
The Platinum does NOT have the Sport suspension. It is the same as the Limited and others.

Peter

Back