6.0L Diesel Won't Start!

BHop

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
Hi there,

I have a 05 Ford F350 with 6.0L diesel engine.

It won't turn over.

Here is the run down:

- I have diesel in the tank
- Replaced both batteries about 2 weeks ago
- Plenty of oil
- Fuel filters replaced within the past several months
- Fuel pump is working just fine (just tested it out, hands are covered in diesel, I smell like a man :D)

Yesterday, I reset the comp and still no go.

Thoughts...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its very difficult to troubleshoot modern diesels without a live scanner hooked up to the OBD port under the dash. There is too much electronic voo-doo on these new motors. They are not like the older diesels where all you had to do was verify fuel and timing and away you go.

Just because the check engine light isnt on, or no codes present, doesnt always rule out computer or sensor problems.

I work on powerstrokes alot, and I wont even waste time opening the hood until I've got my computer hooked up to it and verifying sensor readings.

Thank you CarbonCanyon.

I am not well versed in the more technical aspects of today's diesel engines, so hearing this at least tells me what to do next. I will get my hands on a scanner, and move from there.

I will also check out the website.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Is the motor cranking over?, When you go to start it does the oil guage on the dash move from L to right in the middle, sounds like a high pressure oil isssue. I could be alot of different things wrong. Start there, if you can get a air hose with a rubber fitting, go to the passenger side and there is a sensor on the valve cover that is your IPR sensor, unplug it and remove it, put the air hose in there tight and pressurize the system and you should be able to hear where the oil leak is coming from. also check the FICM voltage, that can also make the truck not run

Back