• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the heater coil

sk

Reaction score
City, State
ocala, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Trying to replace the heater coil in my 04 Explorer. Haveing trouble getting the dash out to get to it. Have all the trim off and radio out but can't get the passenger trim off the A post because of the "oh crap" handle.
Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should 2 round covers on the A pillar trim that you need to pop off with a small flat blade screw driver. They may be hard to see from inside the vehicle but very obvious if you look through the windshield. The handle is held on with 2 small bolts or nuts.

Actually found thoe and got it done. Thanx.
Now my problem is that I have discovered it isn't the heating coil at all but the Blend Door that has to be replaced. Basically the same job but having trouble getting the dash out. Any ideas, shortcuts, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Look up in the 'stickies'. There's a good detailed thread there. No need to pull the dash.

Now my problem is that I have discovered it isn't the heating coil at all but the Blend Door that has to be replaced. Basically the same job but having trouble getting the dash out. Any ideas, shortcuts, or suggestions would be appreciated.

In your OP, I think you meant to say heater "core", not "coil". Below is the link to the sticky thread with the Temp Blend Door repair. Look at page #1 and post #1 from "BigRondo". Has all the photo's you'll need with instructions to do the repair.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Back