Ford Extended Service Plans (ESP) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the ESP worth it? I guess only time will really tell. I bought the Lease Care plan. I have bought extended warranties on my previous 3 Highlanders and would have been much further ahead money wise not to have bought them. I only used it once to replace a tire. But again, you don't really know what if anything may go wrong.
Because the 2011 was a first year model loaded with electronics I thought it would be a good thing to get the warranty, if for nothing else than peace of mind. In one way it is no different than deciding whether or not to put insurance on your house. You may never need to use it but it is there, just in case.
I purchased my ESP through my dealer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the Ford ESP for my Expedition, and I'm glad I did. For nothing else, they give you a free rental when you take it in for covered service. You're not sitting in the waiting room or bumming a ride. Basically it bumps you up to "Lincoln" status without the cost of buying a Lincoln.

I had the 5yr 100k on my 6.0 F250.. paid $1,400 (misquoted but honored that). I have had had over $5,000 worth of repairs covered and got a rental every time (first day rental is a must). With all this tech in the Ex, absolutely but only settle for the premium care.

Does anybody happen to know if you get the unused amount of the plan cost back when you sell the car or when the coverage expires?

My father-in-law has that with his Chevrolets and loves it. Sure you lose a little interest along the way, but you get the principle back in the end. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Does anybody happen to know if you get the unused amount of the plan cost back when you sell the car or when the coverage expires?

My father-in-law has that with his Chevrolets and loves it. Sure you lose a little interest along the way, but you get the principle back in the end. Sounds like a good plan to me!
Vince, I'm just a bit confused (normal state) as to why you would expect any money back when the coverage expires? Is it because you didn't have any claims? I have not seen anywhere where there is mention of getting a partial refund if you sell the vehicle. My understanding is that the warranty can be transferred to the new owner. I did that with my '09 Highlander.

Peter

Peter, some plans have pro-rated refunds on unused portions, while others even offer full refunds if the extended warranty is never used. I was curious if anybody here had any knowledge to that effect regarding the Ford ESPs.

I emailed Zeigler asking them and I will post their response.

Peter, some plans have pro-rated refunds on unused portions, while others even offer full refunds if the extended warranty is never used. I was curious if anybody here had any knowledge to that effect regarding the Ford ESPs.

I emailed Zeigler asking them and I will post their response.
I wonder how thay make any money by giving full refunds. I wish my auto and home insurance was like that.;)
Anyway, good to know. Thanks.

Peter

Did some searching on the Internet and on http://www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com/Ford-Extended-Warranty-Questions-s/2581.htm I found the following;

Q: Can I cancel my Ford ESP?

A: Yes. All Ford ESP contracts can be canceled for a full refund within 30 days (if you have not used any aspect of the plan). Beyond 60 days, you will receive a pro-rated refund from Ford Motor Company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for posting that Peter.

My thinking is that they get to use your money for several years, interest free. That's a pretty good deal for them.

i also opted for the extended warranty plan due to the fact that it is a new model and there is so much electronics that could go wrong. I purchased mine online also.........but from Flood Ford which was a little less expensive than Ziegler. The price difference was small but I liked the fact that the dealer was within an hour from me (if i ever had to show up on their doorstep to complain) and I also liked the fact that their FAQ's indicated that they send you a copy of the invoice/contract. I don't ever plan to bring my car to that dealer though and i don't anticipate any problems. I asked the dealer where i do bring my car for service what the system shows for me.......and they confirmed that my warranty shows the additional months/mileage coverage limits that i purchased in the system.

I used it a few times on my F150, excellent plan.

When I bough my Explorer, that was the first things I asked for, good insurance IMHO

I also opted for the Priemum care plan from Zeigler. Dealer wanted 2600 bucks which is a bit excessive in my opinion. I paid 1200 I think.

Anyway, just to put things in perspective, I had my truck in for service on the AWD system after I got a light last week. They had it for a week (I had a rental) and the total bill was 1500 bucks charged to Ford. That's just one repair. It's worth it.

You get the unused premium portion back when you sell the car, prorated. But if the coverage expires, it expires and that's it.

Hey everyone,

Like it was already mentioned, buying a Ford Extended Service Plan is perfect for peace of mind. For more info on available ESPs, check out Owner.Ford.com > Warranty & Service Plans > Extended Service Plans (http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/ESPPage). Another option is calling Extended Service Plan Sales @ 1-800-367-3377 and they’ll be happy to answer any other questions. :D

Thanks for the great recommendations already posted, guys. :)

Cory

You get the unused premium portion back when you sell the car, prorated. But if the coverage expires, it expires and that's it.

Thanks for the info :)

Thanks for the input (basically 100% positive). I am closing in on my one year anniversary so if the update fixes my many MFT problems, I will be getting PremiumCare. If not, I won't have the car long enough to make it worth it.

Thanks for the input (basically 100% positive). I am closing in on my one year anniversary so if the update fixes my many MFT problems, I will be getting PremiumCare. If not, I won't have the car long enough to make it worth it.
If you do decide to get the ESP, I believe that it takes effect the day that you bought the Explorer and not the day you bought the program. You may want to check into that.

Peter

Peter, that is correct. ESP's start at day 0, mile 0.

Peter, that is correct. ESP's start at day 0, mile 0.

In the case of a used vehicle...The following is taken directly from the Premium Care Plus brochure regarding Ford ESP Used Vehicle Plans:

"Time and distance limitations for Ford ESP Used Vehicle Plans are calculated from the date and distance travelled on the vehicle at the time of plan purchase. However, for Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicles with remaining New Vehicle Basic Warranty, coverage begins at the expiration of the New Vehicle Basic Warranty."

Personally.....if I decide to keep my EX beyond the three year basic warranty period and/or mileage, it will be just prior to the warranty expiring that I will buy the Ford Used Vehicle ESP.
I figure I may as well keep the money in my pocket versus Ford's for the first three years of ownership since if I had purchased a New Vehicle ESP when I bought it new, technically the ESP wouldn't kick in until after the third year anyhow...

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read somewhere that if the plan is purchased by the vehicle's original owner within 12 months or 12000 miles it was treated like a new car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read somewhere that if the plan is purchased by the vehicle's original owner within 12 months or 12000 miles it was treated like a new car.

That is true.

I just got mine from www.troyfordesp.com 60/75k 100 ded for 749$. Would have been 649 if you didnt want first day rental coverage.

Anyway, pretty happy. They sent me the paperwork and everything the next day.

-Greg

Back