altenae

Reaction score
City, State
Utrecht
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hi all,

I am Edward from Holland.

I have a problem on my Ford Explorer 2003.

The 4x4 High/low/auto is not working at all. No lights, no nothing.

Two 20A fuses (4x4 V-bat 1/2) are blown. When I try to install new ones it blows again.

The 5A 4x4 module fuse seems to be oke. What can causes the fuses to blow ??

I hope someone can help me out.

Edward

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You will need to get a wiring diagram, and see what else is on the same circuit.

Can someone help me ,with obtaining this wiring diagram.

Edward:usa:

Which fuses are they? (i.e. which fuse numbers in which fuse box?) That'll help...

-Joe

Which fuses are they? (i.e. which fuse numbers in which fuse box?) That'll help...

-Joe

The power distribution box is located in the engine compartment. It is fuse number 17(4x4 -vbatt2) and 18(4x4 -vbatt1), both are 20A.

All of our systems are down at the moment... I'll see what I can figure out when I get home.

All of our systems are down at the moment... I'll see what I can figure out when I get home.

Oke , I hope you can figure something out. The 4x4 module has been replaced last week with a new one, but the fuses still blow.

Edward

I didn't have a chance to check my stuff at home last night, and the system here at work is up and runn, except for the electrical schematics... Sorry... I'll try again later...

Did you check the wiring harness for any hard shorts. Using an ohm meter check each of the pins in the harness at the 4x4 motor to see if any of them are grounded. Also check between the pins to see if they are shorted out internally. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me so I don't know if any of the leads provide ground or if the motor is grounded through the chassis.

You should also do the same with your motor to make sure it is good, just to double check.

Hmmm... Finally got the schematics to work this morning.

It appears that fuses 17 and 18 feed power directly to the 4x4 control module, and only the control module, which you said you replaced last week. Try this: Unplug the 4x4 control module and replace the fuses. If the fuses still blow, there is a wiring short somewhere. If the fuses don't blow until you connect the module, there's still another issue... I'm honestly not sure what it could be... I'm stumped...

If the module blows the fuses, try unplugging the transfer case and again, replace the fuses. That'll at least narrow down the search for the problem.

Good luck!

Hmmm... Finally got the schematics to work this morning.

It appears that fuses 17 and 18 feed power directly to the 4x4 control module, and only the control module, which you said you replaced last week. Try this: Unplug the 4x4 control module and replace the fuses. If the fuses still blow, there is a wiring short somewhere. If the fuses don't blow until you connect the module, there's still another issue... I'm honestly not sure what it could be... I'm stumped...

If the module blows the fuses, try unplugging the transfer case and again, replace the fuses. That'll at least narrow down the search for the problem.

Good luck!

Tried and did the following:

Disconnected the 4x4 module, fuses don't blow. Connecting the 4x4 module fuses blow again.

Now I also disconnected the Transfer Motor and still the fuses blow. So I think there is a wiring problem between the fuses to the 4x4 module or a wiring problem between the 4x4 module to the transfer motor.

Do you agree ??

Finally fixed the problem. It was the Module. The new replaced module was the wrong one.

Now I can switch between HI & LOW & AUTO 4X4

BUT ???!!!, I have 2 questions now:

1. When 4X4 High activated I hear a lot of noise when turning to the left and right ? I quess this is normal , because I drive on dry pavement ?? Correct ??

2. Also when driving in 4X4 auto, every 2 minutes or so the 4x4 High light is flashing 8 times. What is the cause of this ???????

Thanks already.

Edward

there will be noise on dry pavement, however when you say a lot it's hard for me to know if that is the normal noise or maybe something going bad. I would really recommend not testing the unit too much on dry pavement. Find a stone parking lot or grass Field to test it out.

Any idea about the 8 flashes ?????

Edward

Indeed, first, 4wd is not for use on dry pavement. Doing so causes driveline bind-up, and bind-up results in broken parts. DO NOT ENGAGE 4WD ON DRY PAVEMENT.

As for the flashes, the system has detected a fault and needs service. As for what fault, specifically, it's detected, the only way to know is to have the codes pulled. Unfortunately, you need a high-end scanner capable of pulling the GEM DTCs. AutoZone may sell one, but it's not their loaner.

-Joe

Oke, thanks.

I have only drove the car for 800 meters or so in 4x4 high on dry pavement. I hope nothing is broken now. It is in 4x4 auto again and drives oke.

So I think everything is still oke ??.

Or should I check on broken parts ???

Edward

The Ford Dealer said nothing was found in the computer. Is there anyone who knows what 8 flashes of the 4x4 high means when Auto is enebaled.

8 flashes, 2 minutes oke, 8 falshes, 2 minutes oke, etc, etc.

Edward

IMHO, the dealer's tech is an idiot. They should be able to tell you why the light is flashing. They're supposed to be the experts on Fords, right? If they can't tell you, who can?

As I've already mentioned, a blinking 4x4 light indicates a fault has been detected. Without the code, there's no way to know what specific fault has been detected. The code will likely be a Bxxxx or a Cxxxx stored in the 2WD control module. A standard diagnostic scan will only read the powertrain codes (Pxxxx).

IMHO, the dealer's tech is an idiot. They should be able to tell you why the light is flashing. They're supposed to be the experts on Fords, right? If they can't tell you, who can?

As I've already mentioned, a blinking 4x4 light indicates a fault has been detected. Without the code, there's no way to know what specific fault has been detected. The code will likely be a Bxxxx or a Cxxxx stored in the 2WD control module. A standard diagnostic scan will only read the powertrain codes (Pxxxx).

Hi,

The transfer case motor has been replaced, still the same problem. The computer says :

U1900 CAN Communicationsignal error.

What can this be ??

Edward

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi again,

I have used the correct procedure for shifting into 4x4 low. However the 4x4 low light on the switch flashes, but it will not shift into 4x4 low. In other words the 4x4 low light in the dash will not light up.

Any any idea why it will not go into 4x4 low. It will go into 4x4 high.

Back