LED headlight retrofit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED headlight retrofit

I'm looking into possibly setting up an led headlight retrofit. Could I back feed the wires from the led lights to my headlight wires. So I can turn them on automatically? Through the headlight switch. This would be on a 97 XLT. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or if anyone has any alternative suggestions for headlights. That are good and put out good light. But I don't want hids and projectors. That's out of my price range.

Since installing a pair of these I been using them exclusively as my headlights. They have about the same light pattern as the OEM halogens. They light the ground just in front of the truck like OEM but brighter. Though I installed Xenon projectors in my headlights and they shoot further and 5 times brighter I like to use these LED lights as my headlights cause they just look super cool. I also use them as daytime driving lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-2X27W-L...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3cb6695f&vxp=mtr

now what about wiring them into the original headlights?

You can wire into the harness right at the bulb socket. Its how I wired my Xenon projectors to come on. Or do a separate switch its up to you

Ive been following this thread out of curiosity.
I found these:
http://www.myautolighting.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33_70&product_id=53

The color temp is a bit closer to white at 6000k and they are a bit brighter at 4500lm each.

If I hadn't done an hid retrofit already, Id seriously look at these. Much brighter than halogen.

I was planning on doing an HID retrofit, but I'm starting to debate on waiting for LED retrofits to become more readily available.

Yes, prices seem to keep dropping, and output keeps going up.
They are starting to look really attractive.

How's yours look and where'd you get it?

I didn't do the headlight mods myself on this one.
A company called sichids retro'd some new clear lenses for me.

I have no complaints. They are 55 watt units with solenoids for high/low. There are halo cfl rings around the projector for drl's.

The ballasts don't like to ignite in the cold when I'm starting the truck and the auto lamps are on. I just turn the ignition to on, but don't start the truck for about 5 seconds. I have a delay timer to cure this issue, but haven't done it yet.

These led's would be way cheaper to do. Get some clear headlights off ebay and drop these led's in. Utube shows them as working really well.

I've got the clear headlights, I'm just wondering about the cutoff with LED bulbs in there.

I'm still leaning more towards the HID retrofit, since the light output is amazing with those projectors, whereas I feel like the LED would glare much like an HID bulb in a reflector.

You are probably right.
The nice thing with the hid's is that the reflector assy is all part of the bulb assembly so you can be certain you get a nice cut off. I wonder what the led bulbs would look like in new factory replacement (Before they turned yellow and cloudy) headlamp assemblies.

HID's use a projector which aims the light perfectly.

Do you have a pic of yours and know what projectors he put in there for you, by chance?

here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_20150421_194718_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20150421_194718_hdr.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 446

Looks really good and clean.

Is that a Morimoto projector or do you not know? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know.
If they are not the Morimoto mini's, they are extremely similar. The guy doing it said it was actually pretty tight working in there compared to most headlights.
This is the one mod that I took a hands off approach to. This mod just seemed more appropriate to get someone to do that is set up for it regarding aligning the projector in the housing as its being installed. It takes patience, and checking/marking beam pattern even before you start the dis assembly. I just didn't have it in me at that time (Probably still don't).

Back