Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck is down, Need it back Asap. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been sitting, so I suppose it could be "stale"

Should I try and get it to a gas station and top it off with some fresg gas to see if it helps?

It has been sitting, so I suppose it could be "stale"

Should I try and get it to a gas station and top it off with some fresg gas to see if it helps?

If bad fuel is suspected, I would get it all out before adding good fuel to it.

How long has it been sitting? Even the crappy 87 octane ethanol gas everybody runs should be ok for a year unless it somehow got water in it.

Possible that it got water/condensation in it. I think the filler neck is cracked, right at that tank. That is actually what I was going to look into fixing, before all the other issues popped up..... I forgot about it all together

How should I go about getting the tank empty? Siphon?

Is there a way to dispose of "waste" gas?

My favorite way to dispose of old gas is to run it in things like lawn mowers, if they run on it. Either that or slowly run it in your truck when you get it going. One gallon in a whole tank wont cause problems. I don't think your truck has any thing keeping you from running a tube into the tank and siphoning.

I don't have a lawn mower or anything, I live in an apartment complex haha I will have to figure something out, maybe a bucket or something I can seal and then slowly mix it in with new good gas until its used up.

I just took it out in the parking lot and ran it around some. It still have times where it wants to hesitate/lose power, and if I hit the clutch and rev it up some, then its fine. I was able to get enough of a run up to get a good high rev in first and shift into second, but there isn't space for much more here at my workplace

....and still no codes? Thats very odd.

Just thought of this....

Would putting a higher test gas in the tank help out at all? Maybe equal it out?

I have been trying to drive it around some whenever I get the chance to see if I can get some codes to pop up and give me some insight into the issue. I also need to get it good and warm and do a KOER test and see what I get

Ok, if you are very careful about this--

You can disconnect the fuel supply line. Not sure about the ranger, but explorer's have a fuel line connection right in the fendewell area. This is the line I would use.

A chunk of 5/8" garden hose will just slide onto the fuel line connector, it will be very tight. You can then run the other end of the hose into a large gas can.

Jumper the fuel pump relay socket "on" pin to the battery, and the fuel pump will run continuously, pumping fuel into the gas can.

I don't think I am going to even attempt that method, although under the right circumstances that would be a great way to go haha

I will siphon all that I can and then put some new gas in with a gas can, and then there is a gas station about a mile away.

Would adding octane booster or anything along those lines be beneficial?

no, octane does not help at all. Octane rating is gasoline's resistance to burn. The explorer takes 87+ octane. Anything above 87 is a waste of money. You use higher octane in higher performance engines, especially those with higher compression. Or if you have pre-detonation problems to band aid the problem.

Is there anything/additive that I could add to help with water being in the gas?

I tried to siphon, but the filler neck seems to be messed up right at the tank and the tube wouldn't go past it. I had ran as much gas as possible out of it and I added some new fresh gas.

I have to drive the truck home tonight. About 8-12 miles of all highway driving. Hopefully, all goes well.

Then, I can pull some codes tomorrow and see where I need to go from here.

Well, I made it. Got some good check engine light action and didnt take it abovr 4th gear.

All went fairly decent until, I almost stalled out eight infront of a cop haha

I was able to get.off to the side and rev it up some and aftwr 20seconds or so I was able to finish the last 2-3 miles and make it home.

Will paperclip it in the morning and see what I can get.

Any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was running the KOER and about halfway through.... it stalled

Back