Cracked Fog Light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Fog Light

W

w1kedz

So I was outside and peered down the front of my car this morning and noticed the driver's side fog lamp is shattered. There is no other apparent damage to the front, or the surround of the lamp, just the glass.

I never looked at this coming off the lot, I have to assume it wasn't that way, that it happened on the freeway, but I don't see any specific places where a rock or anything hit the lamp.

So sad, I don't think this is something the dealer will replace under warranty, do you guys? What's the cost on a replacement fog lamp enclosure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably won't replace it under warranty. I'll bet they claim a rock hit it and shattered the housing.

Dunno on the cost. Checked my one possible source and they don't even list the '11 Explorer yet :(

So I was outside and peered down the front of my car this morning and noticed the driver's side fog lamp is shattered. There is no other apparent damage to the front, or the surround of the lamp, just the glass.

I never looked at this coming off the lot, I have to assume it wasn't that way, that it happened on the freeway, but I don't see any specific places where a rock or anything hit the lamp.

So sad, I don't think this is something the dealer will replace under warranty, do you guys? What's the cost on a replacement fog lamp enclosure?

That was one of the things I was worried about too, given how low they are mounted.

Since our model is so new there is little or no aftermarket parts available so your stuck with dealer. Maybe try one of those online dealers that discount off the MSRP.

That was one of the things I was worried about too, given how low they are mounted.

Since our model is so new there is little or no aftermarket parts available so your stuck with dealer. Maybe try one of those online dealers that discount off the MSRP.

I've never in my life shattered glass on a fog lamp, and I've never owned a car without fog lamps, so I'm really concerned at how it cracked in the first place.

I looked at FastPartsNetwork.com and didn't see it listed. You might try contacting Torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com to see if he can get it though. He's a good vendor and has OEM parts at a discount. I've bought off of him many times with good results.

I looked at FastPartsNetwork.com and didn't see it listed. You might try contacting Torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com to see if he can get it though. He's a good vendor and has OEM parts at a discount. I've bought off of him many times with good results.

I called up my dealer's service department, she said since the vehicle is only 2 weeks off the lot she might be able to talk ford into covering it, so I'll take it by and have them try a warranty claim. If not I'll give Torrie an email, thanks for the info!

I had a pillar on the driver side rear (the plastic thing) and it had a hole in it out of nowhere! Replaced by the dealer under warranty. They had to remove the glass just to get that plastic piece out... Then reseal the whole thing and test the window for leaks. Be careful not to break the little plastic pieces (black plastic pillar pieces) because if you're not under warranty, you're screwed with a hard job.

Also, because I had 7 repairs in total for my new Explorer less than 300 miles on it, the serviceman gave me a free bumper guard, roof racks or splash guards free! Really good guy.

I called up my dealer's service department, she said since the vehicle is only 2 weeks off the lot she might be able to talk ford into covering it, so I'll take it by and have them try a warranty claim. If not I'll give Torrie an email, thanks for the info!

So the dealer said that ford denied the claim. They say that "it's apparent that external forces caused the damage". I'm dissapointed, I've never broken a fog light in my life, and I'm worried that if I pay the $$ to replace it, it's just going to happen again. They quoted me $250 for the fix.. I kind of laughed and said thanks, have a nice day.

On the same note, they want 108$ for the rear passenger side interior pillar panel (about 8" by 6" of plastic). How is that right? Almost every plastic panel in the Z was 45$ or less, and much larger. I have a couple of very small scratches on it from my dog, so I won't be replacing this one either.

Just bummed and venting now.

I've never in my life shattered glass on a fog lamp, and I've never owned a car without fog lamps, so I'm really concerned at how it cracked in the first place.

Just FYI, the fog light on one side of my 02 EB explorer was shattered by a rock last summer on I-35, It happens.

The fellow taking over the lease of my '09 Highlander also bought my '06. The other day he showed me a crack in the lens of the right side fog lamp, so it does happen.:(

Thats a shame that it ended up happening. Headlights and fog lights always take a beating especially up here in Mass. A windshield is as common as a broken headlight lol

I guess this is a reason to carry 100% comp. on your car insurance, I lowered mine to $250 deductible because I never turned in the small stuff, back in the old days you could turn in a $7 sealed beam headlight & they payed up.

The foglight lens on my Ranger got cracked from just freeway driving. There wasn't a hole in it but you could easily see the point of impact from the 60mph bouncing piece of gravel or whatever it was.

At the next service I ased 'em how much to replace it. $250 bucks...

Needless to say, it stayed like that until traded in.
:rolleyes:

Someone needs to come up with a cheap clear shield.

So the dealer said that ford denied the claim. They say that "it's apparent that external forces caused the damage". I'm dissapointed, I've never broken a fog light in my life, and I'm worried that if I pay the $$ to replace it, it's just going to happen again. They quoted me $250 for the fix.. I kind of laughed and said thanks, have a nice day.

On the same note, they want 108$ for the rear passenger side interior pillar panel (about 8" by 6" of plastic). How is that right? Almost every plastic panel in the Z was 45$ or less, and much larger. I have a couple of very small scratches on it from my dog, so I won't be replacing this one either.

Just bummed and venting now.
I’m sorry to hear your claim was denied. If you would like assistance with any other concerns on your Explorer, please don’t hesitate to send me a message with the details.

Cory

My father was driving my old 1992 EB Explorer with the Hella 500 halogens I put on them way back when. Anyway, one day driving down the interstate and a big chunk (about 3 inches by 2 inches by 1 inch) of blue chip stone came right into the front of the light, through the lense, bulb, and cracked the structural foam housing from the inside. The stone was still in the light when he got home.

It is amazing that people ride motorcycles or even have their windows open on their car, imagine if that hit a hand, chest, or worse, a eye or head! :eek:

I had X-Pel cut to size and put over fog lights in the past. They worked well because they were very thick and clear. Never had a scratch on the glass, but after about 5 years, the heat started cooking the plastic. I eventually removed both sides after 7 years and could have re-applied since the stuff came in about 12" x 12" square.

Replacing broken factory fog lights

Folks,

My sister's 2013 Explorer Sport (very nice ride...) has a broken fog light. We have purchased the replacement light (mom works at a Ford dealer), but when I looked under the front fascia, I couldn't even see the fog light housing, let alone think about removing it. Admittedly, this was just a quick look.

So, the question is this: How hard is it to replace this thing? Do I have to remove the fascia, or can it be done in tact? I'm hoping I can just jack up the front and pull the front wheel and get to it... Any advice from anyone who has dug into this part would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search on here about fog lights, the posts have some pics too.

from what i read, you need to get behind the wheel, remove the cowl that is closing off the front bumper area, and then access the light housing.
From there you can remove the old lamp & swap it out.
Put cowl back on.
It seems tough to access them - if you had the small front ramps those probably are not going to be enough.

Back