• Register Today It's free!

Pinging under acceloration/load

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
my 02 4door ranger XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles.

my motor is pinging (classic rattling spoons noise) when the car is under load such as
going up a gradual hill

or when accelorating in a low gear before the tranny can shift.

once the transmission shifts the pinging goes away.

im running recommended 87 octane gas. i havent tried using 89 or 91 because with the price of gas in lower NY that would be a very expensive experiment.

do you think maybe the engine Knock sensor is bad?

the check engine light isnt on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue

I have the same issue in my '01. After I cleaned the throttle body it went away fo a bit but then came back. It was only about two tanks until the noise returned. I run 89 octane and pull a 14 ft. landscape trailer. With or without the trailer, same noise.

Someone told me to try detergent gasoline (Sunoco or Mobil) but no difference noticed.

ive gave my truck a full tune up in attempt to get rid of that noise, i replaced all the plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, hoses, thermostat.
I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve hoping maybe the would be it also. but the noise didnt go away at all. i might try cleaning the MAF sensor, what the hell cant be any worse.

Just for giggles I tried some 93 octane. It lessened the noise greatly but still did not cure it. I sure as hell cannot afford to do that all the time.

Tried cleaning the map sensor as you said first,did nothing.

Pinging....Carbon biuild up?

KRPII,

I had a similar problem in my Courier (remember them?) Pick up, and my nephew had it in his '94 Ranger. Turned out the noise was caused by carbon chunks built up on the piston tops, etc. The cure: a VERY little bit of water induced into the air intake. It will go into the cylinders cause steam which will dislodge the carbon, and problem gone!! For a long time! I paid the Ford dealer to cure mine, but when the mechanic came back in about 15 minutes with my truck fixed I asked what he did, and he told me: Open up the air intake, at the carb top or in your case, the throttle body by removing the air intake hose. With a squirt /spray bottle, with the engine running at,, about 1500 -2000 rpm, squirt a little water into the throttle body air inlet. Just a little bit, say 1/2 squirt. wait a little for the rpm to stabilize, and repeat, 2-3 times. Use only about a teaspoon or less, TOTAL, of water. We did it to my Nephew's Ranger, and fixed it for free :)

Naturally, if you blow up your engine, it's all your fault, and I claim no responsibility. I just told you what I did, I didn't tell you to do it too ;)

Good luck

Pinging....Carbon build up?

KRPII,

I had a similar problem in my Courier (remember them?) Pick up, and my nephew had it in his '94 Ranger. Turned out the noise was caused by carbon chunks built up on the piston tops, etc. The cure: a VERY little bit of water induced into the air intake. It will go into the cylinders and cause steam which will dislodge the carbon, and problem gone!! For a long time! I paid the Ford dealer to cure mine, but when the mechanic came back in about 15 minutes with my truck fixed I asked what he did, and he told me: Open up the air intake, at the carb top or in your case, the throttle body by removing the air intake hose. With a squirt /spray bottle, with the engine running at,, about 1500 -2000 rpm, squirt a little water into the throttle body air inlet. Just a little bit, say 1/2 squirt. wait a little for the rpm to stabilize, and repeat, 2-3 times. Use only about a teaspoon or less, TOTAL, of water. We did it to my Nephew's Ranger, and fixed it for free :)

Naturally, if you blow up your engine, it's all your fault, and I claim no responsibility. I just told you what I did, I didn't tell you to do it too ;)

Good luck

LOL!! Yes I do remember the Courier. Personally I did not like them. Glad they are gone.

I will try a squirt and see what happens. I have never heard of the water thing but I have heard of the carbon build up on the pistons. Did NOT know it would cause the noise.

Thanks for the tip.
Appreciated very much!!

i heard of the water trick, they used to try that instead of a valve job back with carb'd cars way back when.

Water works great to clean the carbon in the cylinders like Ray said. An engine can ingest a pretty good amount of it as long as it goes in sprayed. On old big domestic V8's we used to pour a whole pop bottle down the carb - a little at a time. Just dribble it in until the RPM's start to drop and stop until it clears back up and runs right, then do it again. Billows of white smoke from the exhaust....... :) A big domestic V8 will build up very lage amounts of carbon on the valves and cylinders and the water will blow that carbon right out the exhaust. Spray bottle is the way on a FI engine.

They actually used to sell a product to do this with but in all honesty I think it was colored water in a fancy spray bottle. It didn't work any better then clean water.

i tried to do this myself, but its def a two person job. you need to just barely take the intake tube off the throttle body otherwise the engine will stall.

so trying to spray the water, hold the intake tube and move the throttle linkage was a little too much to handle

gotta recruit a buddy for this one

are you supposed to spray water into the TB until you see white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust?

How much water?

dmac,

I'm not exactly Mr. Suoerwrench, so someone may have a better reply, but I wouldn't probably put enough water in to produce any great quantity of steam. After all, were dealing with fuel injectors here, not carburators. I don't know what a large steam burst in the cylinder would do to hot injector tips. So, I'd just use a couple 1/2 squirts at a time, wait a few second and repeat. maybe 4-5 times.

Anybody else have more first hand knowledge, feel free to jump in!

my 02 4door ranger XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 with 140,000 miles.

my motor is pinging (classic rattling spoons noise) when the car is under load such as
going up a gradual hill

or when accelorating in a low gear before the tranny can shift.

once the transmission shifts the pinging goes away.

im running recommended 87 octane gas. i havent tried using 89 or 91 because with the price of gas in lower NY that would be a very expensive experiment.

do you think maybe the engine Knock sensor is bad?

the check engine light isnt on

I hear the same noise in my '99 Eddie Bauer model while going up grades. Turning the overdrive off gets rid of it. Anyone know how to make it go away permanently?

had the same pinging on 2.9 l 89 ranger and it ended up being worn lifters.
heard it could be engine out of timing too or timing belt???

hey i had a slight pinging noise in my truck so i put 1/3 a bottle of seafoam in thru a vacum line and it completly cured it i recomend sea foam to anybody its like exlax for your truck lol

So did you try it dmac and what was the result?

Back