• Register Today It's free!

Body mount questions

sobriquet

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88 bronco II
Hey guys, just had a question for any of you who have replaced body mounts. I just got new James Duff body mounts for my stock '88 BII. I've been told that I should reuse the retainers or sleeves that go between the stock mount and the bolt...thing is, mine are so rusted and jagged I don't know if they will be salvageable. Any ideas on where I can get new retainers of if there's anything I can substitute as retainers? Any replies would be awesome, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys, just had a question for any of you who have replaced body mounts. I just got new James Duff body mounts for my stock '88 BII. I've been told that I should reuse the retainers or sleeves that go between the stock mount and the bolt...thing is, mine are so rusted and jagged I don't know if they will be salvageable. Any ideas on where I can get new retainers of if there's anything I can substitute as retainers? Any replies would be awesome, thanks.

I've never seen a set of stock retainers that can be reused. Perhaps a western truck that has never seen rust, but anywhere east, north, or near the ocean, and they are gone.

I'm in process of the same replacement. I figured on just running the mounts without a steel insert. If I discover that I need one, I'll use pipe as a spacer.

I installed new poly mounts along with 3" body lift and just used bolts from Hardware. And that's been over a year and it's doing fine. This is on my DD/Rat Rod/Trial Rig LOL

PICT3621.jpg
I did have to put some new metal on some of the body mount brackets due to, you guessed it, RUST :mad: Then drilled appropriate hole. Then tack welded in place.
Here you can see the new plate setting on BM bracket.

Too bad I did not hear about your problem with bolts. I had all new stock bolts, washers, and inserts for B2. I must have been the only one in the country that had them. I just gave them away to a friend who is building a ranger. I believe the reason I did not use them is because of the 3" BL.

Awesome, I'm just gonna run it without the retainers, thanks alot guys! awesome write-up by the way

What is the name of the tool for removing Body or cabin mounts on the Ford Explorer Sports Trac?

As swshawii indicated there isn't a specific tool to get the body mounts out. You'll need a variety of tools time and elbow grease to get the job done.

Back