Rear door handles... Again

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
hey guys
So a while ago my two back door handles clocked out... I was informed on here that they are garbage and to swap them out.
This morning I received the door handles in the mail and before I have to go to school I decided to install at least one.
So I threw it on, and was excited so I hopped in and slammed the door only to find out that the door handle still did not open the door.
Anywho, as I sit here and reflect on my poor purchase decisions, i pose the question: WHAT ELSE IS WRONG WITH THE DANG MECHANISM
Thanks, roughrider

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't remember exactly how I fixed my interior handle but believe it had to do with gumming up or maybe even to much slack in the rod causing to excessively pull until broke or nothing. It took me awhile but once I exposed the guts and really inspected everything is motion and figured how it all works (pulling handles, seeing what did what or in this cause did nothing) I believe I had to unclip a rod and tighten the slack and re clip it. Spraying latches on all doors seems to be a regular maintenance one should follow, at least from my reading.
And lastly I guess you could make sure child lock is off, which I also had a problem with and I think the cause was gummed up and wouldn't fully unlatch/lock

I sent this email to myself for later and don't remember where or who wrote it but positive I just copied and pasted it:

"The hardest part to fixing it is removing the interior door panel, so make sure you find out how to do that on your model before you destroy some expensive plastic parts. Once that is off, the rest is a piece of cake.

The problem is caused by the interior door handle rod. It needs to be adjusted because it is too short, allowing the door handle to open too far. A plastic clip attaches the door handle to the rod (the rod that connects the interior door handle to the door latch). Unhook the the clip and lengthen the rod by moving it back towards the latch, then close the clip to reattach the rod. The door handle will not pull open quite as far. Test the adjustment by switching the child lock to the unlock position, and while leaving the door open, pull the interior door handle open and closed rapidly several times. If the child lock switch no longer "climbs" from the unlocked to the locked position, shut the door and make sure it will still open when you pull the interior door handle. If so, you fixed it! If not readjust the rod and try again. Good luck."

I think the above is supposed to fix the child locks and in turn fix opening door from inside

The threaded door handle rod and yellow clips usually don't slip. Sloppy outer door handles are usually caused by broken or weak handle springs. Excessive outer door handle movement normally requires a new replacement new door handle, OEM is preferred. Attaching a spring to lift the rod may help, but the best solution is a new handle, latch, or both. Door lock actuators/solenoids
are another common failure with these trucks. After attempting various "fixes" for intermittent locks, I ended up replacing BOTH front door latches and actuators. Clean and oil the latches often, otherwise they will bind causing added tension.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165081

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207373

I spent a little time on in the other day, i took the door skin off and noticed that the entire hinge was completely gummed up with dirt and dust and grease and junk, so i cleaned it completely up and it opens from the inside ! thanks alot though guys, ill save this thread for if that ever happens to me!

Back