Airflow into radiator(s), factory blocking question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airflow into radiator(s), factory blocking question

2013Sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Hi folks, general question here, a mechanical one, arising from a proposed cosmetic/aesthetic change. The skinny? Am considering powder coating my grille black. Was surprised to discover that a LOT of the grille airflow is actually blocked off by black plastic behind what I had assumed would be direct airflow into the engine compartment, particularly the entire upper grille half, upon closer inspection. I'm not trying to second guess the engineers at Ford, as I have no engineering degree, but unless the plastic blocking behind what would otherwise be normal airflow into the engine somehow channels air into a smaller/focused area (ie radiators) to a greater extent than not blocking the airflow off entirely, I would think that the more airflow into the engine compartment the better for cooling purposes, especially for those who live in hot climates and/or tow a lot. I'm all ears for your wisdom, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I asked a similar question to some of the engineers. They spend a lot of time and money testing the different size openings for the grill. I watched some of the testing when they were putting digital thermometers and mini cameras to see airflow into the airbox.

I cut a small piece of the plastic away from my grill to allow air directly into the airbox, kinda my home made ram air. Probably makes no difference, but it looks good.

Its interesting when you have SCT X4 Tuner on diagnostic mode connected to the OBDII port one of the parameters you get to see in air intake temperature.

Given your climate I can't see it causing you any problems.

Just note that Engineers also take Aerodynamics in consideration, a completely blocked grille is best for less air drag, completely opened grille is best for cooling, so they need to find the best middle ground. Some new vehicles, including some Fords, have Active grille shutters that close at higher speeds to reduce drag & open at low speeds to get more air for cooling.

I saw internal shutters inside the engine compartment by the electric fans.

The problem with Ram air openings in the front of the grille is that you will be more susceptible to water and debris ingestion. It also will cause icing problems in the winter.

Back