Tachometer and Fuel Gauge Needles not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tachometer and Fuel Gauge Needles not working

tbs2015

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer EB
I totally messed up my instrument cluster tachometer and fuel gauge while replacing a light bulb. When I manually move the needles there is absolutely no resistance compared to the speedometer and temperature gauge needles which still works.

I'm afraid to take the circuit board off in fear of I might mess up the working needles. Does anyone have any experience dealing with malfunctioning needles? Do I have to go to Ford repair shop? Replace instrument cluster?

At the meantime, the info display tells me "xx miles to empty" and I can listen to RPM. But I'd like to have all gauges in working conditions.

i also caused a bad problem while trying to swap bulbs but my gauges work but the electrical does not... no mesage center or warning lights gauges still work.. the clusters needles still work, blinkers and highbeam lights... problem is the cluster holds the pats system so if you take out the cluster the engine will not run, if you swap clusters the engine will not run, the cluster can not be used unless ford reprograms the new cluster, if the cluster does not have the same part number it can not be programed, years, model and options have to match with in a range, the cluster can not have the milage changed... a used cluster can be tracked down for around $100 but you have to match part numbers to a T... and a new one is $700 with out core swap and you cant drive with out a programed cluster... core is like $300.. and I cant find a price anywhere that ford charges to reprogram the as built data... this is one expensive blunder and one part that should not be messed with... I hope you find a solution because I can not.... and nobody I have found can repair the cluster they can only change light bulbs for $150.... and I found a place that can clone the used cluster for $150 but the milage will be stuck where the used cluster is so you have to also find one in the ball park of where you are and you have to send them the stock and used clusters and not drive the truck for 3 weeks or more... if the cluster does not match part numbers you are out $250+ when it comes back in the mail...

Back