Will a 1998 Explorer 5R55E work in my 2000 XLT SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a 1998 Explorer 5R55E work in my 2000 XLT SOHC?

intelisevil

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
The title says it all. I have a chance to buy a 1998 5R55E that was purchased NEW (not rebuilt) and installed three years ago.

I'm looking for something I can bolt right in without having to swap sensors, computers or anything else.

After doing lots of searching and reading on this and other forums I'm not convinced if it will work or not. Some say it will work, some say it won't.

According to www.car-part.com, only a 1998 will work in a 1998. While a 1999-2001 will work in a 2000.

What do the experts say?

Thanks in Advance,
Dan

Bump . . .

Lot's of Views but no Answers?

I'm no transmission expert, but I've been doing a fair bit of research on the 5R as I am in the process of rebuilding mine. I believe you should inspect your current 5R for the O/D drum speed sensor and the output shaft speed sensor. See post #3 here:http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432307 Those two sensors come to mind as potential updates. If you can get eyeballs or high res pic of the donor tranny, then try to compare the sensor locations.

I have read that the cam setup (i.e SOHC vs. pushrod) on the engine the donor tranny came from (or was designed for) will change the frictions/steels in each clutch pack as well, though I doubt this would be a true function issue, and more of a durability issue.

Back