chassis shudder and squeaking... normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

chassis shudder and squeaking... normal?

blue_goose

Reaction score
City, State
WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4x4 4.0 200K
My 02 XLT's frame seems to have been getting weaker or at least looser over the past summer. When i first got it at 87K it had an easy city life and was tight and no squeaks or rattles. now its got 110K on it and most of that is highway but it is treated like a truck now. A good amount of off roading and quite a few washboard roads have seemed to really weaken the frame. it shudders over bumps often now to where its embarrasing. After one day down and back a 4 mile road to go hiking i was going faster then probally should have been and that seemed to do a number on it- it developed a squeak by the driver door that is intermittent and the frame was not happy with me. Is this normal and has anyone else who uses these Explorers how original SUV's were ment to be used expirienced it? I know theres nothing i can really do but I'm just courious as to how normal this is and I'm rather dissapointed in the ol Ford too although it has proven to be a hearty vehicle so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a slight squeak when i hit bumps at low speeds...especially speed bumps. but nothing too bad. Ive had a lot of people tell me its the bushings.

And those people are probably right:D Either take them off and grease them or shoot some WD-40 in there.

oh yea, ive had the sway bar bushings squeaking ever since my last off road endeavor. that will be fixed as soon as i get wd-40. the one im talking about is the body, kinda like the noise an old tired truck makes when its nearing the end of its service. not sure how else to explain it. its coming from the drivers door area, around the b pillar.

the shudder you speak of could be your rear end. Does the shudder happen more if your turning while accelerating?

the only way i can describe it is this- if you take a new truck down an old bumpy road its tight, nothing rattles and you have no random squeakes. take an older truck down said road and things inside rattle, pillars squeak, you can feel the weaker chassy not near as tight. not sure how else to explain it. I guess you would know what i was talking about if you took an 06 x back to back with a 95 on the same road and you would know. anyway, i think i have just been a little too hard on it which is kinda sad, because my 91 would take anything you threw at it and this 02 just dosnt like anything but the pavement. but i guess thats the direction all SUV's are headed and nobody actually uses these things as trucks anymore, just modified mini-vans so its justified. The frame and all is fine, it just is not near as tight and solid feeling as it was 2 years ago when i got it. that said its still not terrible and just makes me remember that i need to be rather nice to it.

The engine and suspension is great though- that will take whatever you throw at it.

Maybe it's ur body mounts?

My 02 XLT's frame seems to have been getting weaker or at least looser over the past summer. When i first got it at 87K it had an easy city life and was tight and no squeaks or rattles. now its got 110K on it and most of that is highway but it is treated like a truck now. A good amount of off roading and quite a few washboard roads have seemed to really weaken the frame. it shudders over bumps often now to where its embarrasing. After one day down and back a 4 mile road to go hiking i was going faster then probally should have been and that seemed to do a number on it- it developed a squeak by the driver door that is intermittent and the frame was not happy with me. Is this normal and has anyone else who uses these Explorers how original SUV's were ment to be used expirienced it? I know theres nothing i can really do but I'm just courious as to how normal this is and I'm rather dissapointed in the ol Ford too although it has proven to be a hearty vehicle so far.

Turns out that Ford ended up replacing it's normal material body mounts with micro-cellular one's for the 2002+ Explorers, which in reality were suppose to cut down the noise level in and around the truck. But turns out that... with over time, exposure to water combined w/dirt (mud), they actually start to rub w/the chassis, emulating a worn chassis sound. The usual corprits are the body mounts located directly under the front passenger floor compartment (under the floor mats). There's no way to access them under the truck, u have to do it threw inside the truck. It's quite easy, just remove the side floor plastic trim, side plastic panel (where the emergency shut off switch is located) and lift up carpet, viola... should be right in front of u! Spray down w/degreaser of ur choice. That should solve it! could take a couple mins. to work in. :usa:

wow i had no idea. but as soon as i get some wd 40 i will look into that. thanks for the tip.

Back