Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is amazing. That's adding a lot of timing.

Too bad about the heads lifting.
Are you going to replace the head gaskets while your swapping to the studs? Ive heard some have success with just changing one bolt at a time. to stud, and not changing the head gasket. Not sure if I'd be comfortable with that though.

There might be opportunity in retiming the cams again anyway though.
This is going to get really interesting.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

john, do you know what the diameter your balancer is? i am trying to figure out why you are getting boost numbers that high, and i can hardly get to 6-7 pounds. it will get even worse when the new motor goes in

3rd to 4th shift?

What's happening at the 3rd to 4th shift causing the spark to drop from +17 to -10 degrees? Even though the graph shows no knock sensor retard I suspect that is because your Safeguard Vampire Ignition Control is responding faster than the PCM to detect knock and retard the spark. As I recall you have an indicator to let you know when the Vampire is active.

Ex

Dono,
On the F250's with the 6.0L a lot of guys are just changing the bolts out for studs one at a time and getting away with it. That is something I might just try. It goes against my better judgment but this years racing season is not over yet. The day after Thanksgiving Atco usually has an all day racing event.
Having that day off, I would really like to be there. If I still seem to have coolant rising in the bottle I would know that I need to change the gasket and there would be no if's, and's, or but's about it. However this little voice inside me says just do the gaskets and be done with it. I guess I will wait to I get the ARP studs in hand which may take a while anyway.

Tim,
My lower pulley is 6 inches, my SC pulley is 2.7. Keep in mind that I have 1 liter less to fill so boost builds up more. Also you were spinning that MP90 very fast with the small pulley that was available for it. I wonder if the MP112 would be a direct swap for the MP90 that came with the Explorer Express kit? You may want to look into it to see what the inlet and outlet look like. The other thing would be to try to find someone to make a smaller pulley for the Cobra M112 SC you have now.

2000streetrod
What you see during the 3rd to 4th shift is the PCM trying to protect the transmission during the 3 to 4 shift(you can not even tell it is happening from the drivers seat). That is normal and should not be tuned out with a stock transmission. I also have the 4 to 5 shift blocked so that shift can not happen at WOT. That would burn the band up real quick and may cause other damage.

I backed off the vampire so it is a little behind the stock PCM knock sensor set up, I am going to move the sensitivity back up a little though since the last run I detected knock in the PCM and not the Vampire. When the Vampire does kick in, you can NOT see it in the datalog. Ignition coil control is an output so what you see in the datalog is the PCM's command. When the Vampire is active it extends the grounding of the coil even though the PCM has not changed its command. There is no timing feedback other than the presence or absence of knock activity.

You are working on the final tuning of the "combo" it seems, which is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Good work on that tuning and the patience it takes to do it.

That Vampire device seems like a great addition for a boosted application. For the 302's PCM that may be a necessary item to get the most out of the vehicle. It's on my wish list.

1st to 2nd shift?

. . . What you see during the 3rd to 4th shift is the PCM trying to protect the transmission during the 3 to 4 shift (you can not even tell it is happening from the drivers seat). That is normal and should not be tuned out with a stock transmission. I also have the 4 to 5 shift blocked so that shift can not happen at WOT. That would burn the band up real quick and may cause other damage.

What calibration constant provides the protection? What about the 1st to 2nd shift when overdrive is also being engaged? Should the transmission also be protected for that upshift?

I backed off the vampire so it is a little behind the stock PCM knock sensor set up, I am going to move the sensitivity back up a little though since the last run I detected knock in the PCM and not the Vampire. When the Vampire does kick in, you can NOT see it in the datalog. Ignition coil control is an output so what you see in the datalog is the PCM's command. When the Vampire is active it extends the grounding of the coil even though the PCM has not changed its command. There is no timing feedback other than the presence or absence of knock activity.

That makes sense. I should have realized that there is no PCM external spark control interface.

trans protection

Second gear is a lower gear than 5th so it is easier to turn if that makes sense.
That band is usually the first one to go bad too. poor design for longevity but it did give closer gear ratio changes.
I don't know the calibration constant off the top of my head...

Calibration Constant

Here it is, all the other ones have the right column set to all 1's to nullify them.

Attachments

• Trans protection 3-4.jpg
    Trans protection 3-4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 211

ARP head studs.

They were not supposed to ship till 10-27 but they arrived Today. I celebrated by starting to clean my garage so I can work in it again. lol.
Looks like I can not get the valve covers off unless I remove the supercharger so I am going to just pull the heads anyway since I have to dig in so far. Time to look for a quality head Gasket set....
I guess I know what I am starting this weekend.

Arp

2000streetrod,
The Bolts are 12 point. Not my favorite, but I am using them.
I have all the tools. Bought them a long while back knowing one day i would need them. Got a good deal on them from eBay. I teach the timing procedures in our engines class. Its funny that the 4.6 is easier to time than the 4.0 SOHC. The students usually fear the 4.6 until they try it once.
The 4.0 SOHC and 4.6 are more forgiving than the 2.3 4cyl since you can remove the followers on the 4.0 and 4.6. The 2.3 you have to time before you take it apart, and you have to pay attention or you will bend or break the valves real fast.

Track today

So at the track today I proved the ARP head studs.
They opened at 9:00am, runs usually start at 10:00am. I got there about 10:30 and they were running already.

I had to set tire pressure down to 32 in all 4, adjust all 4 shocks to the hardest settings, then adjust the Cal Tracs to 1 1/2 turns of preload. Takes about 20 minutes to do all that if all goes well.
So I was in the lanes by 11:00am and did not get my first run until 12:00 noon. I did get to see some 10 second cars launching and boy the shock to the rear tires, axles etc was scary. I would be happy to get into the 12"s and stay there.

My first run was without water/methanol 13.696

For my second run I saw that along with the non w/m tune, I only had the 2 and 4 degree advance w/m tunes on my X3(Mine can only hold 3 tunes). So I went with the 4 degree. Ran 13.445

Then I went to open SCT advantage3 software and it stated I needed to update the USD device(dongle). That pissed me off. Could not use the software so I was stuck with the tunes I had loaded and that was that. I stayed on the 4 degree advance tune.

So my third run 13.416
My 4rth, my tires got wet trying to go around the huge puddle they just sprayed down in the burnout area. Ran a 13.551 with the wheels screeching off the start. Then they closed the lanes for the day at about 3:15pm.

All in all it was a great day. I was feeling much better, got some needed sunlight, and had a blast running my truck. I usually get a few people interested in my truck asking questions about it, today there were quite a few. It sure helped pass the time waiting between runs. That and checking out every one else's vehicles. I got to see a custom hot-rodded 1948 Ford Anglia.
What a cool vehicle!

I'm glad that everything held together, that you're feeling better and that you had a good time.

Thanks Buddy!
Just reading some of your truck registry pages, you have so many good pictures in them!

13.4's is frieken fast!

Sounds like it was a great day all around.
Great times, and even better, the motor work proved its self.

Unfortunately, your not motivating me enough to want to go into a -4F garage and work.
The good news is that out iat's are nice and low around here right now. I need to get my intercooler mounted, but.....Im just not feeling it.

Again, congratulations on a lot of different fronts.

Thanks!

13.4's is frieken fast!

Sounds like it was a great day all around.
Great times, and even better, the motor work proved its self.

Unfortunately, your not motivating me enough to want to go into a -4F garage and work.
The good news is that out iat's are nice and low around here right now. I need to get my intercooler mounted, but.....Im just not feeling it.

Again, congratulations on a lot of different fronts.

Thanks !
-4F would stop me right in my tracks! I would probably freeze there too.

Ran out, should I?

Well, I seemed to have run out of cheap upgrades and have not hit my goal of 12.99 yet. I also run slower times when it is hot out, an 80 degree day causes me a 13.8-14.00. I never want to see 14's again, and I want to drop into the 12's. I do not want to do weight reduction sacrificing AC and other creature comforts. The only thing left that I can do cheaply (under $1,000.00) is......

Attachments

• nos.jpg
    nos.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 167

attaboy! now were talking.

13.4.......with the incorrect tune....dont ever want to see 14's again.....from a stock motor, and a v6 at that.....
you poor thing lol
even still, with all the time and money i have thrown at my truck over the last 2 years, i will be happy, more like jumping for joy if i hit that number in the spring/summer with the new(er) motor.
back in the day i had a buddy that had a fox body mustang. i remember he drove it year round (i even remember him delivering pizza with it, and it sitting in a snowbank on the street when the snowplow went by in the winter). he made it to the low 10's high 9's with it (still streetable...just) but i remember him saying "13 seconds are easy to get to. once you get to the bottom end of 13's it was like hitting a wall until he made it to the 12's and beyond".
it will go faster. i have no doubts about it the way it is now.
orrrrrrrrrrrr https://whipplesuperchargers.com/ :D

Back