• Register Today It's free!

Chiming won't stop, HELP!

tenajp8

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Got a '99 Explorer XLT. As soon as you start it there is a chime. Its different than the seat belt chime, more like the door open chime i guess. But when the door is open, the door ajar light comes on, and shuts off when the door is closed. It beeps 5 times every 5 seconds for about a minute, then it will quit for approx 20-30 minutes and do it again, its really annoying and i do not know what it could be, any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem and at the same time I had my Multi-Function switch ketching on fire.

Found out, how the chime works when the key is inserted into the lock cylinder, the one side of the cylinder has a positive lead coming to it. The other side has a pickup or ground lead. When you insert the key, you complete the connection. What probably happen is that your pickup lead broke of and is wedged itself inside of the lock cylinder to ground itself out hence making the chime go off all the time. Your in luck, I got pictures because I was going to write a how to but never got around to it. Mine doesn't ding at all now when I leave the key in the ignition.

I'll guide you through how to fix it, its really easy.
1. You must remove the Tilt Leaver, should be able to put a crescent wrench on it and unscrew it.
0802071939.jpg

2. Next you must unscrew the 4 bolts holding the two plastic neck peaces to one another. (Larger hole of the two in the picture below)
0802071938a.jpg

3. Next we need to remove the lower portion of the plastic neck, which will involve removing the lock cylinder. This is quite simple, grab a very tiny flat blade screw driver. Your also going to need your keys for this. Insert you keys turn the vehicle to the ON position, which is position 2, the one right before the start position (we don't want to start the vehicle)
** Should be in this position...
0802071938.jpg

This sets up the lock cylinder for removal. To remove the lock cylinder, insert your small flat plade screw driver in the smaller of the two holes in the picture below.
0802071938a.jpg

There should be enough room that will allow you to pull down the black plastic piece to see a small hole in the bottom of the lock cylinder. There is a ball bearing in there you want to press in with your flat blade screw driver. When you do, the lock cylinder and keys should pull straight out. Hardest part is done now....
0802071940.jpg

4. You should see a loose wire or a wire on the bottom portion of the lock cylinder socket, it should have a gray clip around it. Mine was hanging freely from me pulling out the lock cylinder.
0802071941.jpg

0802071941a.jpg

5. All we have to do now is bend that copper tab back and warp electric tab around it so it does not ground out on anything else inside the steering column. An just tuck it back inside the steering column somewhere.

0802071945.jpg

6. Reinstall the lower portion of the steering column neck with the four screws.

7. To put the lock cylinder back in, all you need to do is line up the groves and insert it stright in and the turn it back to off. Remove keys

All done! Now you will have no chiming when the keys are left inside the lock cylinder. Now it will still chime if you have it in the Accessory position and open the drivers door.

Good Luck, ask me any questions you need. Sorry I did this off the top of my head in about 15mins...lol

It beeps 5 times every 5 seconds for about a minute, then it will quit for approx 20-30 minutes and do it again, its really annoying and i do not know what it could be, any ideas??
The 5x5 beep is the audible backup for the airbag trouble light. When the bulb is burned out or otherwise disabled, you will get the beeping.

Chiming won't stop continued

I want to thank you both for the reply, kinda confused though, got two totally different answers. So if the airbag light is burnt out it sets off that chime? Does that mean that there is something wrong with my airbags as well or just that the light is out?

Hmm, Maybe I should of read deeper into your first post, my bad....lol Didn't see that it said different then the seat belt ding.

So if the airbag light is burnt out it sets off that chime? Does that mean that there is something wrong with my airbags as well or just that the light is out?
The Restraints Control Module checks the indicator lamp circuit at every start up. FWIW, my 2000 Ex shop manual says that the beeping will occur if there is a problem with the lamp circuit AND some other diagnostic code is stored in the RCM.

I would get the lamp circuit repaired right away - probably just a bulb. If there is another problem with the Restraints System, the lamp will flash a code sequence at key up that should help identify the problem area.

The 5x5 beep is the audible backup for the airbag trouble light. When the bulb is burned out or otherwise disabled, you will get the beeping.

My Explorer is doing the same thing. How could someone disable that light?
I just bought it and the abs and airbag light was on. Told them to fix it.:(
I guess they went in and disabled the light for both of them.
How can I get it back on so I can take it back and have it fixed?
Thanks!

My Explorer is doing the same thing. How could someone disable that light?
I just bought it and the abs and airbag light was on. Told them to fix it.:(
I guess they went in and disabled the light for both of them.
How can I get it back on so I can take it back and have it fixed?
Thanks!
Don't know. Maybe they pulled the bulb or cut a wire. Take it back as is and tell them to fix it right this time. A Ford dealer can diagnose restraints codes without the air bag light being operational. There are trouble codes that can be accessed with a special code reader.

Back