• Register Today It's free!

Can't lower spare tire.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
Okay, after trying to lower the spare tire as you would on any truck, (with the factory tire iron through the lift gate) I discovered that there is no where to insert the darn thing. There is a hole but nothing in it. It's like something is missing.

Looking inside with a flash light all I can see is a Allen head about a foot deep in there.

I'm lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, after trying to lower the spare tire as you would on any truck, (with the factory tire iron through the lift gate) I discovered that there is no where to insert the darn thing. There is a hole but nothing in it. It's like something is missing.

Looking inside with a flash light all I can see is a Allen head about a foot deep in there.

I'm lost.

I know mine takes a little bit of fighting for the tool to finally fit in there. Just keep messing with it, I cannot really see it breaking considering that the spare on most vehicles are barely lowered.

Are you using the right end ?
its the "hook" that goes through.
my winch was completely seized, had to drop it and free it up so it can be used. Now i lower and raise the spare twice a year to keep it from sticking.

There should be a slightly hooked "screwdriver" type tip on the end. These often break off and get caught in the winch "tube". If the end of your rod has an open square hole, the tip is probably lodged in the winch. I had to pry mine out and weld the tip back on,

There is also a plastic funnel looking type guide that helps in aligning the tool into the slot on the winch for lowering and raising the tire. On my "98" Ranger that plastic guide came lose and ended up in a position where it blocked the receiving slot in the winch. I had to crawl under the truck and "fight" the plastic funnel looking peice out. I never had another problem, but it took some head scratching to figure out what was going on initially.... Hope your able to figure it out.

Tire iron won't do it. Fold your back seat down and look for what you need under the panels that lift up.

Would think he's figured this out, otherwise would have heard back by now.

Can't lower spare tire!!!

I'm trying to inspect my charcoal filter above the spare tire.

The trouble is I don't see a place to put the tire iron to lower it.

There is a hole behind the lift gate but when I look in there with a flash light, all a see is a small Alan bolt about a foot deep.

Look under the carpet just behind the rear seats, there should be some tools there to "hit the hole"

They look like this

i2sr4n.jpg

if you raise your rear hatch, look just over the bumper just to the right of center there is a hole,, choose the tool ext that has a flat end most like a big screwdriver,, put that end in first, then the other, socket them together and the handle,, it will pretty much guide its way into the spare winch,,lefty loosy,, down,, righty tighty up, in a pinch u can use a regular long jack handle with the flat hubcap end to drive the winch,, just barely reaches,, buck

Look under the carpet just behind the rear seats, there should be some tools there to "hit the hole"

They look like this

i2sr4n.jpg

what if i dont have one of those bars? i just bought the truck and cant find that tool, i have a 1998 ford explorer sport

go to a jy and buy them :D I paid 10 bux for mine I think...

thanks to this site i was able to lower the spare tire on my 2001 ford ranger, i had no idea, how to lower the tire,

Back