Front wheel bearing getting loose

patarch1

Reaction score
City, State
West haven ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger
Hello,
On my 97 ranger, the front driver wheel bearing keeps getting loose.
I check both sides each time I notice the play and it is always the same side.
The hubs are manual. Should there be a locking pin or device that keeps the nuts from getting loose?
Thanks
Patarch1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What torque are you tightening them to? You need at least 150 ftlbs.

Also, there's the two locknuts, and the washer between them. Does the washer have the little tab that slides into the keyway? does one nut have the little nub that locks into a hole in the washer?

Hi,
The two nuts are there, the washer is there but there is no nub that locks into a hole in the washer.
The truck came back from the garage and after 500 miles I noticed the play in the wheel.
I do not know how much they torque'd the nut to.
I guess I am going to have a torque wrench and the socket that fits this type of nut.
Thanks.
Patarch1

Hi,
but there is no nub that locks into a hole in the washer.
Without that nub, it'll never stay tight. You can buy a new set (the two nuts and one washer) for not too much at NAPA.

Most of the time the nub gets pushed back into the nut by improper installation. I would remove both nuts, clean them off and look for a small hole on one of them. If there is not a nub on the opposite side of this hole, it may be possible to use a small nail anf punch the little post back through and get your nub back. When re-installing, the nubbed nut goes on first with the nub facing outward and then you need to ensure one of the holes on the washer lines up with the nub. Otherwise, it will just get pushed back into the nut again.

Useful answers, thanks. The next mystery is the vibration I get when I engage the manual hubs.
As soon as I engage them, the sterring wheel moves amost 1/8 of a turn and it wobbles like crazy.
Thanks again for the useful info
Patarch1

Back