Spark plug wiring diagram needed (firing order). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wiring diagram needed (firing order).

Wellsee

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1998
Hi everyone. Just came across this awesome site! I am in need of a diagram or picture of the spark plugs for my 1998 Explorer (want to make sure I hooked up the wires correctly, etc.) . Can anyone direct me to the right forum or link on this site....or even better if you have the answer directly. Thank You!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

attachment.php

SOHC
In case anyone's interested, here's the SOHC coil post positions:

5 1
6 2
4 3

Front of engine

The coil pack is flipped around on the SOHC, and this changes the post order from the OHV.

Thank You!

Thanks so much!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Which engine do you have?

Hi there and thanks so much for your help! Apparently, I have a V6...so the diagram that the nice person supplied for me doesnt work. Please let me know if you know the answer or where I can find it. Thanks a million!

Hi there! Thanks for your help. It turns out that I am looking for a V6 diagram. Would you by any chance be able to help me with that? Thanks a million for your help in advance! For some reason, the car is getting incredibly bad gas mileage all of a sudden and Im kind of hoping it will be due to this being mixed up. Thanks Again

I think that's what the poster gave you in "words" ... that's the plug position on the coil pack for a V6 SOHC... if I am not mistaken.

Hi there! Thanks for your help. It turns out that I am looking for a V6 diagram. Would you by any chance be able to help me with that? Thanks a million for your help in advance! For some reason, the car is getting incredibly bad gas mileage all of a sudden and Im kind of hoping it will be due to this being mixed up. Thanks Again

If you need the SOHC v6 here it is. If you need the OHV can't help sorry
Cylinder key 4.0 SOHC.jpg

i have a 2002 mountaineer 5l v8 the diagrams arrow gives me the impression that the engine in the diagram is transverse mine isn't am i misreading something

If you need the SOHC v6 here it is. If you need the OHV can't help sorry
View attachment 62630

That's a diagram of the coil pack isn't it?
Not the engine?

I just set the cam timing with the front piston on the driver's side (LHD) on top dead thinking that was no.1. I spun the engine by hand and there's no binding.

Is that right?

i realized that after i posted my question. the codes show to replace the number 4 and the number 6 coils so that should be the one closest to the firewall on the passenger side (#4) and the second one away from the radiator on the drivers side (#6) right?

That's a diagram of the coil pack isn't it?
Not the engine?

I just set the cam timing with the front piston on the driver's side (LHD) on top dead thinking that was no.1. I spun the engine by hand and there's no binding.

Is that right?

That is the engine cylinders key on the left of the diagram and the coil pack on the right

Ford V6 coil pack cylinder numbers very tricky. Banged my head on the hood numerous times working on a Mustang trying to figure out a skip before I realized the "4 6 5" wasn't "4 5 6"

Bill

Not correct for my 2001 XLT 5.0L. The left coil pack is reversed. The right coil is correct. I think someone else mentioned that this could be wrong as well.

Which cable is which?

So I understand the diagram but the 8th and last cable doesn't reach that terminal in my truck. How do i know which spark plug wire is 1-8?

If you still have factory coil packs clean the top of it off, they are numbered and will give you good direction

This diagram is helpful but unfortunately I don't think it works for mine. The 8th wire doesn't even come close to reaching the last terminal. How do I know which wire is 1-8?

Aftermarket or "universal" replacements? Number your old wires first and compare them side-by-side to the new ones. :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Which engine do you have?

hi i have a1998 ford explorer eddie bauer with the 4.0 sohc vinE witch side is bank one on is it pasinger side or drivers side
i have a bank one sensor one i need to change out

Back