2007 Ford Explorer Limited Navigation DVD Failed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Ford Explorer Limited Navigation DVD Failed

Fire488

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited V8
Today when I was driving home I heard a whirring sound coming from the dash near the radio/GPS. I looked around but could not pinpoint what it was until a DVD disk error popped up on the touch screen. I removed the disk and it was clean with no scratches or anything wrong with it. I then paced it back in the slot and heard the noise again with the same error popping up. I guess the DVD reader for the Navigation failed. I found replacement stock units for it for $900. That is just crazy, but what can I do?
I was wondering after spending hours looking, what after market radio/GPS/Entertainment systems might bolt right up to it. I am not sure what radio head unit i have except that I have entertainment system, sub woofer, Sirius, pretty much loaded. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off, if the radio still works, it may just have a dirty reader. Try inserting a cleaning disc. That's a cheap thing to try before buying a whole new head unit.

First off, if the radio still works, it may just have a dirty reader. Try inserting a cleaning disc. That's a cheap thing to try before buying a whole new head unit.

I did not know that you could do that. never heard of a cleaning disk. I'll look for one tomorrow. Thanks!

OK so I purchased a Laser Lens Cleaner and ran it in the system for a few minutes. Didn't work. I called a stereo repair facility and the person told me that it sounds like a hardware failure because of the noise and that makes sense.
I decided that since I was going to send it out for repair that I would try one other thing. I took my high pressure air nozzle and after removing the nav dvd I blew 90 psi in the slot. I put the dvd back in and would you believe it worked...It still makes a lower noise now, but it works. When it goes I will send it out. Oh and the repair will cost $400 with no warranty.

Hey. Been a month since you blew air into it. Is it still working? I had a similar issue when I bought my car 2 years ago. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373074 Mine has never worked though. After mine got locked out and I had to have the dealer restore it, I haven't touched the nav menu since. Since I don't listen to CD's anymore, I just have a very fancy FM radio. If there was a reasonable fix though I'd be willing to try it.

Back