1999 Ford Explorer Radio Cd And Tape In 1996 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer Radio Cd And Tape In 1996 Ford Explorer

yatesford96

Reaction score
City, State
Rural Hall. Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
Im Trying To Put A 1999 Ford Explorer Radio With Cd And Tape Player In A 1996 Ford Explorer. How Do I Hook this Up. Wiring Harness are not the Same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im Trying To Put A 1999 Ford Explorer Radio With Cd And Tape Player In A 1996 Ford Explorer. How Do I Hook this Up. Wiring Harness are not the Same.

It's not that easy.
The factory 99 radio has an amp built into it, where as the 96 has an external amp. Putting the 99 radio in the 96 will cause the 96 amp to receive and amped signal from the amp in the 99 radio.

Long story short, it's easier to put an aftermarket radio in or a radio from 95-97.

Still not the best idea, you'll need to bypass the factory amp, or you'll slowly be killing it.

I agree i was never able to turn up the volume past half way without it sounding like crap. got the same result in the factory and aftermarket units I've tried out. the premium stock amp needed to be bypassed or replaced just never got around to doing that when i had the truck.

With the amount of work needed to bypass the factory amp, putting in another factory headunit is pointless. Factory units are horrible, kill the bass anywhere past 40% volume and have great amounts of distortion above 40%.

Grab a cheap single din off Crutchfield, they'll throw in the wiring harness to by pass the amp, and it'll be worth it.

Back