Rear sag | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear sag

arm1984

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
As my explorer has just passed MOT with no advisories I feel the need to fiddle with it some more.
My explorer like many I assume, sits a little lower at the rear than the front. Has anyone added two used lower leafs from an old explorer to raiser their rear up a bit. If so did it work ok or should I be looking at getting a set fron the states? My self leveling still works fine, but the rear shocks need replacing as they are the originals and have very little damping effect.

cheers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not the answer you're looking for but i have the auto leveling 'frigged'. Behind the spare you will see a plastic bar running parallel to the height sensor. I drilled a 2nd (bottom of the lowest thinner recession) hole above the original and the suspension raised the body 2 ish inches. I know it's not the best way, but has been like this for 6 months without issue.

Thanks for your suggestion but I'd rather not push my luck. I have feeling the way my luck goes, it would cause something to break almost instantly.

It might just be that the level point wants resetting. Try this to set it back to level. Turn the self levelling off. Jack up the rear so that the axle hangs. Lower back down and turn the self levelling back on. Mine is lifted and does not sag at all.

Thanks I'll try this today. The springs look pretty flat when I look underneath but fingers crossed.
Do you know a good place for load adjust shocks in the uk? Ford want something like £500 for the 3 rear set. It's about £180 iirc for a set of monroe from rock auto, which I'll probably order today.

Just to let anyone interested know. I got a full set of Monroe air adjust shocks and the 3rd stabiliser shock for less than £165 delivered to my door. Will hopefully fit this weekend.

Rear Suspension Lifters

My Explorer also suffered from rear end sag. I had a pair of rear suspension shackle lifters shipped from Autoparts in the USA. (£26.00 including shipping) It took just over 1 hour to fit them. Lifting the rear by 2". The Explorer stands properly now, and it has taken the pressure off the front shocks. Easily the cheapest cure, whilst removing the old shackles at the same time.
;)

Just to let anyone interested know. I got a full set of Monroe air adjust shocks and the 3rd stabiliser shock for less than £165 delivered to my door. Will hopefully fit this weekend.

Hi arm1984,

Where on earth did you get a "full set of Monroe air adjust shocks and the 3rd stabiliser shock for less than £165 delivered to my door" from?

I have been looking for some of these for a while now and only just read this post.

With thanks, Paul :D

Currently at ROCKAUTO, in america, they would cost you £182.29. You can also apply a 5% discount code.

Thanks for that Kevin p, I have just been looking on ROCKAUTO and as far as I can tell the MONROE Part # 40006 and 40007 Specialty ones should do the job?

Yes Paul, they are the ones. If you look under 'DRIVETRAIN' section, then 'axle shaft damper' you will find the other item.
Iv'e been buying loads of stuff off them over the last couple of weeks for my rear axle and transfer case and if you want it quick it is well worth paying the extra shipping. I ordered a transfer case repair kit and it arrived in 3 days!!!!
All the best Kev.

Cheers for that- I thought it was.
Just wondering if you are still making the lift shackles, as I would be interested in some?

I need at least 3 people to want some to make it economical. Got no steel to make them at mo.

Ok thanks Kevin, I am not in a rush as I am restoring my 98 at the moment, so it will be off the road for a while.
Please let me know if you do get some more interest and I will buy a set and can collect, as I also live in Telford.
Cheers, Paul

You live in Telford!!! if you get stuck with anything give me a shout. Iv'e got quite a few bits and bobs including a spare engine.

Hi Kev,
Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been a bit busy since my last post, but thanks for that offer.
I am restoring my 98 Ex and have a donor 97, but I may well take you up on the offer at some point.
Cheers, Paul

Back