Power Steering Pump Question

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
How much play (in and out, along the axis) should the power steering pump have?

My pump, with 20,000 miles (Motorcraft rebuild) has about 1/16" play. This seems like way too much, considering there is a specification as to how to install the pulley so it is lined up with the belt.

I get a chirp from the belt until it warms up, and the steering pump seems to work fine.

It sounds different than my old ones, however. Instead of the traditional whine, there is more of a hiss, or sandpaper on wood sound (that's a bad analogy!)

Is it time to replace the pump?

EDIT: While this is a question, the truck is apart. I pulled the accessory bracket in order to adjust the pump pulley to fix the squeak, and found the loose shaft.

..I don't have an answer other than I would take it to where you bought it since it is out and tell them what's up..1/16th seems reasonable as in in/out (forward/backward) movement but side to side I would worry..

..and I thought this was a bit ironic as I changed my Rangers power steering hoses last night by flashlight as I had a fitting go bad and it's been over 100* during the day..:D

I bought it from RockAuto about 2 years ago - I don't think they would take it back...

IIRC, Motorcraft stuff carries a 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty.. Something to look into.

Benjam :D

Back