Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

The new turd mobile. 2000 Mountaineer v8 awd.

The bad:

Was living it's prior life on a dusty road. Must tear out interior and deep clean.
Driver window off track "or something" and will not roll down. It tries but the rear part wants to stay up.

3 out of 4 door handles have issues. I have 4 new outer handles on order.
Cracked passenger side tail light housing. ( Ebay for some cool tail lights)

Compass-Thermometer thingy lit up and went out--idunno bout that yet

Door locks seem sticky, probably has to do with the handles.
It has a funky purple color trim with red metallic ( you'll have that every now and then) :(

The good
Gas tank was full
109k miles
I am the 2nd owner!!
Is from the local area, which means no salt!
The undercarriage is fairly clean
No dents to underside panels
Good rubber
Camber shims already installed
Looks like good service records, all recalls were completed.
Clean carfax believe it or not.

The "maybe" bad

The original owner, told the dealership it had a bad "heater core" however I have run it for several cycles, over an hour each idling in the driveay and see no leaks.
However, there was evidence of a windshield leak or the like,I saw condensation on the inside of the windows this AM. The moisture smell is that of water only-no anti freeze smell. I am thinking it could also be a cowl drain which is clogged???? but she did say the passenger carpet got wet.

I tried to get heat, however it is an auto climate control. Being 90 degrees outside, I doubt it would have given me heat.The heater core hoses were hot, and the coolant bypass valve does operate. AC blows Ice cold.

Maybe she meant to say "heater door"???

Anyway--here are the pics.

My intent is to drive this and use it as a tow rig for a light weight off road toy. Mods will be minimal. Edit: This plan did not work out so on to plan "b"

Current visual status

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

Progress pictures
025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

042.jpg

038.jpg

Now, let's clean it up a little

Herculine'rd rocker panels. Rock sliders installed

005-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

BW 4406 True 4x4 Manual transfer case ( AKA Mouse entry point) installed 8-27-2012
Installed newer Tcase from a 2003 11-14-15

003-7.jpg

Saw a rainbow in Colorado so yeah, time for a picture
119.jpg

And here she is, on top of the highest pass road in North America. Careful tire placement a must!!!
041-1.jpg

2-2-2013

Changed "color scheme" of the Dick Cepek DC1 wheels. New Falken Wildpeak AT 31x1050x15

005_zps519396ed.jpg

Then I decided Maroon washer on the wheels would look better

006_zps9145ce92.jpg

003_zpse4691714.jpg

Update 6-6-2013

New bumpers, winch and Pro LED light . Front Bumper from RLC, Skid plate from RCI, rear bumper from Kert307

001-8_zps25438bd5.jpg

002_zps7dd4e30f.jpg

Rear anti sway disconnects

004_zps1b757042.jpg

Update 9-2-2014
A cracked radiator at 70mph led to engine failure. Replaced with a freshened up a bit 80k mile engine starting on page 23

001_zps0a3e1791.jpg

Found another rainbow in Kansas.

008_zpsarhv1lwt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great, so what is the length of that F150 shaft, short and long lengths?

I will report this when I get it back together.

Are you sure that 302W block is no good? I have seen people really overheat iron blocks and they dont care... When a 351W overheats in a boat the first usual sign is that the temp gauge goes from 150*where it should be to over 200*, then the wet exhaust hoses give out from extreme dry exhaust temps melting them... Get back to normal and the motor runs just as it did before...
You must have missed the pictures of a burned piston and parts of it in the combustion chamber. Look at post 668 ;)

Back to the drive shaft.

After a thorough degrease and rinse I baked the driveshaft parts at 450 for about an hour 15 minutes. Basically until they quit smoking. Then I spent about 1 hour 15 minutes blasting them with crushed garnet. I used some duct tape to mask off the splined areas before blasting, to keep them free of sand. The front yoke has a bit of a "rust ring" but I needed to cap it so there ya have it--

From this

002_zps9b00f4e9.jpg

to this

007_zps3d7f65d9.jpg

I am going to sleep on a color choice, kinda pooped. I have some Titanium Metallic to use up, I am kinda swayed to that. Hmmm, titanium drive shaft. I like the sound of that.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What's the titanium color you have look like, is it kind of a gold tint?

my vote, clear coat it and leave it as it sits
When clear is applied over blasted metal it kills the glimmer and sort of "yellows" it . I do have a silver color which look very close to blasted metal though, with clear over it.

What's the titanium color you have look like, is it kind of a gold tint?

It kinda looks like this :D

001_zpsaaa94f03.jpg

002_zpsa7347d58.jpg

oooh...shiny

Great, so what is the length of that F150 shaft, short and long lengths?

I can compress it to 32.5" from rear flange face to u joint center. At least 36" extended

It went together very nicely. Gonna take a break and then throw it in for a road test! Aint it sexy!!

003_zpse6b67c56.jpg

Note!!!

Parallel phasing. Ooops, I had the double cardan shaft cross phased. Should be parallel according to [MENTION=87244]gmanpaint[/MENTION] 's 2 trucks.

So, if this single joint shaft doesn't feel good i have yet another thing to try:D

Success!!

F150 drive shaft in and she drives smooth as silk. I probably shouldn't say this but she finally hit 80 MPH shake free! Woot!

Testing 4X4 tonight I think.

Edit. My driveway has a bit of slope. When the angle finder was attached to the front diff it read straight up, off the transfer case flange was about 3 degrees. However there is also some sideways angle going on, I think this makes up for that.

Awesome

Excellent, and the finished drive shaft looks great.

So the installed length is very close to 34" then, and the end joints should be as pictured there, called parallel?

Thanks Jon, and I came home from the Pull A Part today seeing a 96 302 intact still, and a 97 Town Car with memory seat/mirrors. I need to get back there to work on those two. Night,

Driveshaft was an issue

Well, now that the double cardan , CV, or whatever it is called is out of the truck, there is no more binding in 4wd, and, the 4wd does not "pop out" .

[MENTION=53464]dkchrist[/MENTION] was able to replace the axle shaft in the problematic axle assembly from last year so I plan on swapping it back in. The 300k mile unit I am using now makes a little noise.

On a side note-
I hitched a 6000 lb load to the back of Betty and drove her on a 30 mile round trip to the dump. On the way back home the scangauge said the coolant temp was 204 degrees. I hope this is in the normal range. The idiot gauge was still right in the middle, not even near the hot side.

204 doesn't sound too hot to me...:dunno:

204 is a little hot. Generally it stays around 180-190 without a load. The engine was probably still cooling off from the tow.

In my sohc its a 180 'stat. I heard that was standard, but mine has hit the high 190's on a hot day. Its a much bigger issue with OHV due to the headgasket ussues.

Well, now that the double cardan , CV, or whatever it is called is out of the truck, there is no more binding in 4wd, and, the 4wd does not "pop out" .

[MENTION=53464]dkchrist[/MENTION] was able to replace the axle shaft in the problematic axle assembly from last year so I plan on swapping it back in. The 300k mile unit I am using now makes a little noise.

On a side note-
I hitched a 6000 lb load to the back of Betty and drove her on a 30 mile round trip to the dump. On the way back home the scangauge said the coolant temp was 204 degrees. I hope this is in the normal range. The idiot gauge was still right in the middle, not even near the hot side.

That's no issue at all, not even enough to cook with. Let me know when you get it to 270 or 284, I've had my SOHC 4.0 hit those before.:eek:

I wouldn't arty about 204. That's not even boiling. Usually the factory thermostat is 195. Glad to hear u towed a 6000 lb load though. I'm hoping to get a camper next spring, been wondering how big I can go. ;)

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

I wouldn't arty about 204. That's not even boiling. Usually the factory thermostat is 195. Glad to hear u towed a 6000 lb load though. I'm hoping to get a camper next spring, been wondering how big I can go. ;)

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

The trailer itself was a pig. 3000 lbs empty with an expanded metal rear gate that caused a lot of drag. I would not want to tow that much. IMO keep it less than 2500 lbs.

Today I replaced the rear U joints. This was a tad more difficult than the fronts.

Ok, some things to report. Anyone reading this thread is a friend and I am happy to announce my very good buddy has acquired some very rugged property. We can go there to wheel and hang out. There is definitely some level 5 terrain there, several dry, loose rock creek beds with some waterfalls, 3 strip pit mines now filled with water, some overhangs carved by rivers of the past-and a real cool stone house which will have electricity. and of course plenty of room for camping. There is a 3-4 acre spot he keeps mowed and trimmed. It looks like a state park.

So,we had to test out ol gal. He invited us to go out along with my sister and brother in law. 5 of us in the mounty. This better work or we will have a time getting her outta here

We took a trip in and around some things in 4wd low range, and had no problems at all. Being night time and cutting up steep rocky terrain through the trees had my sister in law screaming from the back seat. She wanted to bail out but the child lock was on or something. Sheri was talking to her calmly, as we have gone through this kinda stuff before.
After going through the roughest stuff Sis in law was asking if her Mountaineer would go through. It was a great time!!
One hill was so steep, and was like tallus rock from the tailings of the strip mine, we threw a rock up onto something underneath. It sounded like a drive shaft snapped ( Jimmy said "there goes your drive shaft") but it was just a loose rock hitting a skid plate I guess.

After this we drove back home, about 25 miles and nothing unusual occured. It was a much needed shake down.

Today I removed the rear drive shaft to make more clearance for the u joint-gas tank shield area. Right after changing out the trans mount and supporting the t case it developed the sound of cards in bicycle spokes when turning right at speed. I intended to address it while I had the shaft out for u joints the other day but the joints gave me a hard time, I started hurting pretty bad, got tired and forgot to. It is taken care of now. Some trimming here and a few whacks with a hammer there and by golly there is some space in between. :)

Ok, some things to report. Anyone reading this thread is a friend and I am happy to announce my very good buddy has acquired some very rugged property. We can go there to wheel and hang out. There is definitely some level 5 terrain there, several dry, loose rock creek beds with some waterfalls, 3 strip pit mines now filled with water, some overhangs carved by rivers of the past-and a real cool stone house which will have electricity. and of course plenty of room for camping. There is a 3-4 acre spot he keeps mowed and trimmed. It looks like a state park.

So,we had to test out ol gal. He invited us to go out along with my sister and brother in law. 5 of us in the mounty. This better work or we will have a time getting her outta here

We took a trip in and around some things in 4wd low range, and had no problems at all. Being night time and cutting up steep rocky terrain through the trees had my sister in law screaming from the back seat. She wanted to bail out but the child lock was on or something. Sheri was talking to her calmly, as we have gone through this kinda stuff before.
After going through the roughest stuff Sis in law was asking if her Mountaineer would go through. It was a great time!!
One hill was so steep, and was like tallus rock from the tailings of the strip mine, we threw a rock up onto something underneath. It sounded like a drive shaft snapped ( Jimmy said "there goes your drive shaft") but it was just a loose rock hitting a skid plate I guess.

After this we drove back home, about 25 miles and nothing unusual occured. It was a much needed shake down.

Today I removed the rear drive shaft to make more clearance for the u joint-gas tank shield area. Right after changing out the trans mount and supporting the t case it developed the sound of cards in bicycle spokes when turning right at speed. I intended to address it while I had the shaft out for u joints the other day but the joints gave me a hard time, I started hurting pretty bad, got tired and forgot to. It is taken care of now. Some trimming here and a few whacks with a hammer there and by golly there is some space in between. :)

AWESOME!!! Is this going to be a friends and family kind of place or more open to the public? I wouldn't mind taking my quads down and follow everyone around if that's okay. Also, it's 25 miles what direction from Humboldt?

Back